We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

I wanted to buy a point-to-point (within switzerland) rail ticket online thru SBB site. The ticket has an option to make a seat reservation at an additional cost. Is it necessary to make a seat reservation? Or I can just buy the ticket online without seat reservation? if i don't make a seat reservation, when will i be allocated a seat?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

Hi DesmondTan,

No, you don't need reservations on most trains in the country -- the exceptions being the tourty trains like the Golden Pass or Glacier Express or Bernina Express, etc. For most journeys, you won't need reservations at all and only need to buy the ticket.

No, you will not be allocated a seat. But, again, you probably won't need to be allocated one. The trains are not that crowded --

Hav efun!

s

Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

oh ok.. but if i buy the ticket online thru SBB e-ticket printed from home, without a seat reservation. how am I to know which seat i'm allocated? what is the procedure? this is my first time taking a rail transport in europe. thanks for your patience to explain to me

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

Hi again,

It's really easy. You find your train by departure time and track number. You go to the track number and see your train. You find the class of car (first class cars have a huge "1" on the outside and second class have a "2"). You enter the car and look for an empty seat.

Voila!

It's really a user-friendly system, very intuitive and easy. You'll fit right in and just go with the flow!

Have fun!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

>but if i buy the ticket online thru SBB e-ticket printed from home, without a seat reservation. how am I to know which seat i'm allocated?

It's very simple.

You are NOT allocated to a seat.

You get in and look for a free one.

5. Re: is seat reservation (optional) required from SBB site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 06:22