We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help!!!

NJ
13 posts
Save Topic
Need Help!!!

Hi,

We are planning to visit Germany, Switzerland and Austria next year for about 15 days with kids (7and 3 years). We would like to see historical places (not into museum) and learn about culture. We are not into hiking, biking etc.

We would like to know -

1) Is it safe to travel with kids?

2) How many days should we spent in each country?

3) What are the places should we visit?

Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help!!!

May I ask what it is in particular you are concerned about when you ask is it safe for kids? Switzerland is a very safe family friendly country. There are some high altitude mountain tops that may not suit very little children, and obviously it is wise to wear sensible footwear and plan hikes in advance, but otherwise I can't think of any particular worry.

How many days you choose to spend and where you would like to go, will very much depend on what you would like to do. This is a very individual thing for each person/family. Here's a thread that might help set you off on the right path for your planning:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k3104…

Happy trip planning. I'm sure you'll have a lovely holiday.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help!!!

I have to echo the previous post, and ask where you think you are going, this is Europe, not a third world country. I would say that Switzerland is one of the safest countries in the world. How were you proposing to travel? How many days in each country? Well you could spend them all in any one of the countries and not even scratch the surface of what to see. and your third question, I really think you should have a look at some of the Swiss websites and see what is available, and then come back with more specific questions.

Sorry of this sounds abrupt but while we are ready to help none of us here is a travel agent nor are we mind readers.

I can think of many towns with historical connections and many outdoor attractions that your children will love but without knowing a little more it is difficult to help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help!!!

Travelling with a 3 year old is always a challenge and perhaps what you mean when you said "Is it safe to travel with kids" is that you are concerned that people might not like to see a family with a little toddler in tow!

If that is the case, fear not! It may coem as a surprise but we have toddlers in our families here too!! The secret to successful travel with a small child and even with a 7 year old is to pace yourself to their schedule. And to find things that they like to do.

For small people the following things come to mind here in Switzerland:

Lake boat trips

Mountain railway trips

The St Bernard Dog Museum in Martigny (normally with puppies in the summer)

Swiss Miniature in Melide near Lugano

The Basel zoo

the new Bear Park in Bern

But basically you can find something for them - even if it is just a ride on a toy motorbike outside a supermarket - that will keep them happy.

You say you don't want to go to museums...some of the museums here are great for children - especially your 7 year old. I am thinking of the Swiss transport Museum in Luzern.

Anyway tell us when you will be here as that affects what is available etc. As to your second question I suppose in two weeks if you split it more or less evenly between the 3 countries it would work but with little ones I would be more inclined to pick one country, rent a flat and make a base from which I could take day trips. If you were coming in the summer I would sugegst Switzerland because this country is far smaller than the other two, and so much easier to get around and to make a day trip, see something in a different language area and still get back "home" in the evening. Austria is extremely "long" and you cannot easily travel from say Vienna to the Tyrol and back in a day. Germany is huge!

NJ
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help!!!

Thanks for the reply..

I will be visiting Europe fist time. I have read people had bad experience in some other countries in Europe.

Could you please let me know which town/city should we visit and which town/city should we stay. At this point, we are planning to stay in Switzerland for about 6 days. I am willing to stay in different hotels if it is necessary.

Thanks.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help!!!

Why not look at the Swiss National Tourist Office website - www.myswitzerland.com This has gerat photos, and all the info you need to make up your mind as to where to go. Not knowing you personally makes it a little hard for me to say "go thre, don't go there" etc. But most tourists like to see something of the mountains, and then one or two of the cities. You could combine time in Bern with a couple of day trips to the Oberland (Bernese mountains) or take some train rides, for example through the mountains to Montreux. Look at what "My switzerland" can offer you and then come back to us with specific questions.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help!!!

>I will be visiting Europe fist time. I have read people had bad experience in some other countries in Europe.

Well, people had bad experiences in New Jersey too, and pretty much at any given point of the globe. What do you actually think might be a problem, with or without kids?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help!!!

Gerat question, Altamiro! I had a really really bad experience in NJ once - their road signs are terrible!! Took me hours to find my way...

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help!!!

>I had a really really bad experience in NJ once - their road signs are terrible!!

Yes, and the people drive (on the interstate) like maniacs! So count me in as well :-)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help!!!

>Could you please let me know which town/city should we visit and which town/city should we stay.

Pretty much any city and pretty much any stretch of countryside in Switzerland (and the same applies to Austria, Germany and about all other European countries) offers enough to be a base for a two-week holiday. You have already been pointed to a few directions in this thread. Sorry but this is not a free travel agency that will do all your homework for you. How about doing some research and then deciding what YOU want to do and see?

10. Re: Need Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 06:23