We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss-pass...which ticket?

RSA
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss-pass...which ticket?

We (4 adults) are travelling to Switzerland. We will be dropped in Grindelwald, but from there we would like to travel Switzerland to see some places. Which railpass should we buy?

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$161.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
351 reviews
from US$250.00*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.10*
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss-pass...which ticket?

Hi Li4SouthAfrica,

As always, someone simply has to do the math to determine which pass, if any, would save you money. First you have to determine which places in Switzerland you want to see, then you can get the fares for each of your trips at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Then compare the sum of the fares to the various passes or discount cards at this site

www.swisstravelsystem.com

I usually have to do a spreaksheet to keep track of all the options!

And I'll add that I usually find the Half Fare Card to be the best option for me, every time.

Good luck!

s

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss-pass...which ticket?

Hi Li4,

We've been twice to Switzerland, both time travelling extensively by train.

The first time we used half-fare and the second time we decided on the Swiss Pass.

Like Swandav says (repeatedly) you have to do the maths based on prices from the SBB website and, like Swandav, that's what I did for both trips.

There actually wasn't that much difference bearing in mind the cost of each ticket. But, given that we spent quite a lot of time on various trains, the sheer convenience of being able to just get on a train without having to go and buy a ticket each time outweighed the extra cost. (Except those trips where a 25 or 50% discount applies.)

You'll have to make up your own mind of course but, if you intend to use the trains a lot (and don't forget the boats, busses, trams as well) my personal advice would be the Swiss Pass.

BTW, I bought them via the Swisstravelsystem's website and they were delivered to us here in SA by courier. Just having the tickets to look at for several weeks before we went added to the anticipation!

3. Re: Swiss-pass...which ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:16