We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Can anyone who's been on the Rick Steves Best of Europe tour tell me which hotel you stayed in when he describes sleeping in the 'creaky old chalet in the Lauterbrunnen Valley' for two nights?

I have his book with lodgin recommendations for the different towns in the valley - just curious which one the tour stopped at!

Thanks very much!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

I'm guessing Hotel Staubbach.

Red Lion, PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Can't be positive, but perhaps a place in Gimmelwald, which requires taking a gondola in Stechelburg at the end of the Lauterbrunnan Valley. We are planning to do the Best of Europe tour in 2011 and the literature I have in hand mentions Gimmelwald as an overnight. From what I've read, the accommodations do sound quite rustic.

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Thanks for the tips both of you! I think the whole area sounds great and will surely be happy with wherever we end up!

RoseDew - have a wonderful time on your tour! We have 2 teens and I started with the idea of staying in Gimmelwald, but heard that Murren has a little more to offer for kids, and now I'm considering Lauterbrunnen simply because it seems like easier access to both sides of the valley. We shall see!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Yes Lauterbrunnen is easier access to both sides of the valley, but I still prefer Muerren. Also since you have two kids I would try to get the Chalet Fontana's apartment that sleeps up to six persons with a private bathroom and breakfast included.

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

Great tip! Thanks very much! I'll look into that one.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

I agree with tmynatt, stay in Murren. There is basically nothing in Gimmelwald but a couple of primitive inns, I've never understood Rick Steves' fascination with the place. Your teens will be much happier in Murren or even in Wengen, across the valley. A few years back, friends with teen girls came through the area during the time my husband and I were renting a chalet in Wengen for three months. Our friends and their girls stayed in Murren but visited Wengen with us a couple times. The girls were adamant in their preference for Wengen as there is more to do there yet still a quite small village. Incredibly scenic as well. Wengen is only 15 minutes by cog train above Lauterbrunnen.

7. Re: Rick Steves' 'creaky old chalet'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 05:17