We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

Hi people,

I will be visiting my friend in London in November this year hence I hope visit Switzerland from London.

Can someone please advise a suggested itinerary like which are the places that is a must to cover for first-timers...

And how is it like travelling Italy in November? How's the weather? Is snow expected?

Cheers!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

November is the worst season of all for the Alps. Prepare for short daylight hours and chilly weather, more rain and mud than snow. Unless you have extremely favourable weather conditions, forget about the mountains. November is, however, good for city trips focused on culture and shopping: Zürich, Basel, Bern, Luzern, Genf, also some smaller towns would make sense. Visiting a mountain resort does not at that time of the year.

singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

Hi! We are actually considering to visit the Jungfraujoch, so November would not be a good time? :)

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

The Jungfraujoch train runs everyday and for this trip the season is not that important, so this would be fine. Only in the mountain villages like Wengen most restaurants and hotels will be closed.

November options are very limited, but some of the best things are available (eg. Rigi, some boats on lake Lucerne, Glacier Paradise and Gornergrat in Zermatt).

Days are short, christmas season has not yet started and there is usally already snow. There is typically fog in the lower parts (cities), but then the weather on the mountains is often very good, of cours it can always rain or snow.

November is ok if you focus on those main sights and the cities and you don't mind the cold weather.

singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

If I only have 5 days in Swiss, can you kindly advise a suggested itinerary as we'll be going F&E and should be getting a rail pass. Tks :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

Jungfrau will be good, But regarding november it will be freezed when you go into the plateau of jungfau

singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

It'll be an experience for us as there is no winter in SG :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

Fungfraujochin November - bit of an awkward time. Its defintely winter and there wil be snow around but maybe heading up to the top of the Jungfraujoch might not be such a good idea. Even in the height of the summer it can be cloudy up there, and if its cloudy then you don't see anything - so a waste of money for a day trip- although you can certainly go up to the lower stations.

ALthough you can ski on the top of the Jungfrau and the Matterhorn to for that matter all year round, its not really proper ski season until December in Europe so you are sort of in between seasons and there might not be an awful lot going on .

Having said that, there is plenty to do in the lower regions, you can still see Interlaken Lauterbrunnen Grindelwald etc but do wrap up tho it'll be a little chilly! or simply keep it city based and head for the likes of Luzern, Zurickhetc.

It is a great place to isit, and Ok you would have more options in the smmer, but if its a case of going in november or not going at all then defiantely come, it is still more than worth the while.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

One major thing i forgot to inform you, the cost was more than 200 CHF for 2 persons ( We were having swizz pass) and in the winter, by spending this much money and you cannot see anything--I can conclude its only waste of money...In the freezing temperature its not easy to go in the plateau, there will be heavy wind and there is no rigid barricades around you, if you cannot hold the wind it will be dangerous....

singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

Thanks all for providing valuable info! I think we will really need to consider the season and the cost factor. Certainly hope to do more and not miss the beautiful sights of switzerland :)

10. Re: Switzerland 5 days November for First-timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 05:18