We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

Saratoga New York
9 posts
1 review
Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

I am traveling on a 18 day Globus trip to Austria, Switzerland and the Oberammergau the end of May, beginning of June. (Vienna/ Salzberg, St. Moritz, Zermatt, Berne, Lucerne, Innsbruck, Oberammergau and Munich) I know Europe travel is fairly casual, I am having a hard time deciding what to pack for the different areas. I have noticed that the attire in many travel pictures is what I would call Snappy cashual. Has any one done a trip like this , and can anyone give me some suggestions? I am very excited and want to travel with one suitcase if possible. Thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
157 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

keep a long jacket (wool) with you it will protect you from all the normal cold, and all other dress you can keep and its depends your health & body condition... When i was gone for Swizz i have taken 1 long jacket + 1 Insider + 1 Shirt + 2 jeans + 2 socks + Leather shoe and this was protected me on -9 degree

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

Hi Lisbethcro,

Most of those towns are at or near the mountains, so at the end of May you should be prepared for cool mornings and evenings, and some rain.

I would advise you to pack so you can dress in layers and so be prepared for just about anything. And I've always found that a raincoat with liner is an excellent final layer for spring or fall (and you can carry it onto the airplane!).

Yes, I would characterize dress in the towns and cities you mention as snappy casual rather than frairly casual, or maybe business casual would describe it. Though you will find people wearing t-shirts and jeans, if you dress better, you'll be received better. I think you'd be comfortable wearing trousers (stretch chinos or the like) and a long-sleeved lightweight sweater. Then add on a cardigan or vest, etc,

Anyway, good on you for looking at photos. Also looking at webcams is a good way to get ready!

Have fun!

s

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
157 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

Forgot to say, Include RED color dress on your bag, it will look good in the snow...

Caldwell, New Jersey
1 post
4. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

We're doing the same trip and will be at the Passion Play on September 24. I'm concerned that it could be really uncomfortably cool by the evening portion of the program. Is it protected at all? How was it in the spring?

United States
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

I would like suggestions as I leave in a few days. I will be in Appenzell

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

For traveller41_10,

Well, it is pretty cool during the day already. This August, we've had highs in the 60s, with evenings and mornings around 50. And it's been wet, too, with rain nearly every day.

I haven't been but have heard that the stage is totally open to the weather.

Of course there's no telling what September's weather will be like; for all we know it could be a heat wave! But I would definitely dress in layers, and I'd bring enough warm layers to get through a cold evening.

Have fun!

s

7. Re: Weather and clothing suggestions Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 05:16