We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public restrooms

SW Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Public restrooms

OK, now I'm down to the wire and need some essential information.:) What is the availability of public restrooms and how does one find/identify them while travelling in Switzerland? We will mostly be going by train. .

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public restrooms

Trains stations have them. Many villages have them (marked with a little man/woman sign outside). Obviously cafes, bars and restaurants have them, and unless they are very fancy generally wouldn't give you a hugely dirty look if you went in just to use them (obviously it's better manners to buy a drink or a postcard or something). Tourist sites have them. Often things like cable car stations have them. I've never found it to be a problem, so I doubt you will either.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public restrooms

The best are the ones at the stations, they go by name of McClean, and they are very clean. You may think they are rather expensive 2chf for ladies and 1 and 2 chf for the men. There is always plenty of hot water and soap and paper towels and some even have showers. Each time the attendant makes sure they are fit for use. If you do use them make sure you have small change available, although there are change machines in some instances.

canada
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public restrooms

In some stations, there is likely one free cubicle. In the French speaking part, this particular one is usually of the squat (Turkish) type.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public restrooms

Hi, the sign is not unlike the sign here - a round headed, block-y person in trousers or a skirt. It is not difficult to find a restroom as a rule and they are usually spotlessly clean with the McClean's at the stations being so clean you could eat......well, you know the saying. You'll have better luck asking for a toilet than for a restroom - some think of a rest room as a place to lie down and rest while a toilet is a toilet! Also, the French and German words are very similar to the English toilet. The trains have toilets in every car or two and they are usually clean as well. At the end of the car on the wall is a lighted sign that shows when the toilet is in use.

Always keep a supply of 1 and 2 franc coins because lots of things need them - they are like quarters here.

Edited: 28 May 2010, 22:58
SW Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public restrooms

Oh thank you all so much for the helpful information. Yes, I will remember toilet. I will not be wanting to rest afterall.:)

And the tip re: always having coins is an important one as well. Often I don't have any money on me when we travel so I will remember this.

I will be very thankful for the clean toilets as well. Since I am part Swiss, I feel like I already know what to expect.

Thank you so much for all your help. We fly into Zurich this weekend so our Swiss adventure begins very soon. We are excited!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public restrooms

Hi all,

ok, am I the only woman in the world who is angry at McClean?? Why do I have to pay more, when I only want to urinate? I always want to pay that 1 chf and go to the men's urinals!

I've been boycotting them forever.

s

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public restrooms

Good morning swandav, I also would if I could. If men use a " sitting" toilet they pay same amount than woman

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public restrooms

Don't boycott them, S! They clean the loos after each use and clearly there is more to clean in a ladies than in the men's! And anyway, women have higher standards about such things (OK I can just hear some cries, but I happen to think it is true!!)

Also there is another, really good reason to use them: like the loos on the autoroutes, the ones in most of the large stations have been used/are used for other purposes like drug dealing, and other crimes etc. So I would never ever use them if there was a McClean in that station!!

To get back to other "public conveniences" as they are called in England (!) Don't go into a café or restaurant and use the loo without buying something. It is extremely "mal vue" - taken very badly. IF you are well dressed you can, on the other hand, get away with wandering around the lobby areas of a hotel and then using their facilities...but your dress should match the "standing" of the hotel or the security people will be following you!! And if you are travelling by car avoid the loos in the parking areas off the road. Same reason as avoiding them at the stations. Instead stop at a rest area with a café and use those. Charge varies from 50 centimes to 1 or even 2 frs. If it is the latter you usually get a "bon" for the same amount off any purchase (chocolate, sandwiches, a coffee etc) so in fact the loo is then free.

SW Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public restrooms

Thanks! McClean it is.:)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public restrooms

I'll stand!! I can do it standing! Or, I bet I could, if I could save some change.

It reminds me of the 1970s, when dry cleaners would charge more to clean and press a woman's shirt than they would a man's shirt.

No, I'll never give money to McClean. Or -- only in an emergency. I hate it when there are no cheaper options in the station.

s