We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe in September. We want to visit Paris, Switzerland and part of Germany. In Switzerland, we are thinking of visiting Lucerne and Interlaken. Is three days in Lucerne enough? Should we stay in Interlaken or Murren or Wengen? How long should we stay in this area? Should we rent a car for these places or are there private tours available? Also, any suggestions on hotels or small inns or B & B? We would rather not stay in large chain hotels. After Switzerland we are planning to go to Munich. Should we fly or take a train?

canada
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Between Paris and Munich, the scenic route through Switzerland in this direction is the Golden Pass. So you take TGV from Paris to Lausanne or Geneva, then follow this route to Bernese Oberland. If you need a bar after dark, then you stay in Interlaken. If you like pwace and tranquility, go up to either Wengen or Murren. Muerren is a village on a narrow strip, while Wengen is more open though still on a slope. It is easier to take the train to Jungfraujoch from Wengen. But it would be Murren if you want to face those 3 peaks: Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau, bathing in the afternoon sun. Actual time needed depends on how you like to spend your days. Leave BO via the last part of Golden Pass to Lucerne. Spend a day on the lake and lakeside communities. You might be able to attend the final few concerts of the Summer Music Festival.

If you have time take the train to Munich, via Bodensee, perhaps overnight in Lindau. You are probably too late for the Opera Aida in Breganz.

I hope you have already secured your lodging in Munich.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

Hi ft8473,

Sounds like a great plan! Will you be flying into Paris and then going from Paris to Switzerland? If so, try to get your train tickets about 90 days early, when the discount fares show up. They sell out fast, so being early is important!

Yes, I think three days in Luzern is good; how long will you have for the Jungfrau region? I personally prefer the village of Wengen over Interlaken; Interlaken is a major tourist and transport hub, and I think it lacks the charm of the mountain villages. Both Wengen and Mürren are high up in the mountains, and both are car-free, making them very peaceful and charming.

Instead of thinking about private tours, you can just make your own plans and then travel where you want and when you want, on the wonderful Swiss rail system. You can plan all your journeys yourself with the planning site at

www.rail.ch

so you'll never be confused or hurried. You can do a bit of research here to find out the very best attractions and walks, study a map or two, and then you'll be the master of your trip. Some sites to get you started on your planning are:

www.myjungfrau.ch

www.jungfraubahn.ch

www.luzern.org

You don't tell us how much you'd like to spend on hotels, so I'm not sure if these will be suitable for you. But I've enjoyed the Hotel des Balances in Luzern, a 4-star, and the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, a 3-star.

As for going to München, taking the train will be just about as fast as flying -- once you factor in getting to the airport, waiting at the airport, flying, getting your bags, then getting from the airport into town. Trains take you from city center to city center, and you get to see a bit of countryside besides. You can also munch a picnic, chat with your companions, meet some locals, read, or listen to music -- it's a great way to enjoy the travelling.

Anyway, have fun!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

Hi ft8473

You can spend weeks at the Lucerne area but three days is much better then less.

Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) and at the Lucerne link you got already to find out what to do and to see. My personnel preference is the Mt. Rigi roundtrip with a sunset-dinner on lake Zug. Also a meal (Älpler-Maggrone) up on Stanserhorn is great.

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay at Lucerne.

pore

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Thank you all for your quick response. Since we are booking this last minute, the tour we wanted got cancelled, and we are doing it on our own, we are not sure which location we are going to first. Should we start in Paris or Munich and then Switerland. Does the order matter? The train system is a little confusing. I will look at the websites. I think we will enjoy Wengen or Murren better than Interlachen. Is 3-4 days enough time in the Junfrau region. As far as hotels, we are looking for 4 & 5 star hotels. Preferrably with a small quaint atmosphere. I think in Lucerne a 5 star will be a little out of our budget but we would love to stay on the lake.

Thanks again.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

Hi ft8473

The rail system is very easy to understand. In the timetable link you already got put

FROM the starting place (for exemple Zurich-Airport)

TO the destination station (for exemple Wengen)

and the date and the departure or arrival time

watch the spelling, it is important.

This manner gives you the fastest way from point A to point B. If you for exemple prefer to travel from Wengen to Lucerne over the scenic Brünig line you would need to make the following inputs:

FROM Wengen

TO Lucerne

VIA Brünig-Hasliberg (ü can be written by ue)

Now you get it on this route. Scroll down the page and you will find the routing and it even tells you how much time you need to change trains if needed.

You do not need to prebook ar make reservations except on some tourist trains. Just buy tickets and hopp on the train.

At Lucerne I would recommend you look for a hotel along river Reuss which is very close to the lake and to the railway station if you do not want to book a five star. You find hotels of all categories at www.luzern.org

pore

6. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 06:18