We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun protection in Switzerland

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Sun protection in Switzerland

Today when I had gone to purchase a Sun Block for my upcoming Switzerland tripin July I got confused with the wide variety of options. There were few questions in my mind for which I had no answers and therefore I am posting some of the questions here

1) How much SPF sunblock should I buy for me and my kids? There are so many options 15 SPF, 30 SPF, 50 SPF etc.

2) I would be visiting Zermatt (Gornergrat), Interlaken(Jungfraujoch, Schiltorn, Aare Gorge) & Lucerne (Titlis) would I need a different SPF sun protection for the cities and mountaintops

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Gornergrat
Gornergrat
4,040 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,536 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Aare Gorge
Aare Gorge
493 Reviews
Meiringen, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
102 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun protection in Switzerland

This is a tricky question as we don't know your skin type. If in doubt, go for the highest factor. I have a nice factor 50 one that is specially for the face (it doesn't make my eyes puff) and 25 for everywhere else. With your children in particular, always go for the highest anyway.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun protection in Switzerland

Hi, I'm very fair skinned and burn easily. I don't know where you live but I find the SPF 36 Bull Frog is great even when skiing the glacier in Zermatt.

I certainly would not wear less than 36 in the mountains particularly if you are going to be around snow because the snow reflects the sun and can create some bad burns.

In the end, sun protection is pretty much the same brand to brand but some find (as I do ) that one brand seems to work well for them and doesn't cause any reaction (these products do irritiate some skin types). For the children, I would buy one formulated for a child's skin but any reputable brand with a high SPF applied regularly (every hour or so particularly if swimming or perspiring) should be sufficient.

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
3. Re: Sun protection in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 08:20