We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Rail Pass Question

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Rail Pass Question

I was wondering if I could get some advise on which Swiss Rail Pass to buy. We will be arriving from Italy. Our first stop will be Lugano. We will be there for 2 nights. We would like to do one boat cruise and a trip to Mt. Bre. Would the cruise and cable car to Mt. Bre be included with the Swill Rail Pass?

We will then be going to Lucerne for 3 days. We would like to go to Mt. Rigi, I know that the train ticket will be covered and so will the Mt. Rigi trip along with any boat cruise there.

Lastly, we will take the train to the Zurich Airport for our flight home.

I guess I want to know what is actually covered by the Swiss Pass so I can decide if I should buy the 5 day pass or the 4 day flexi pass.

Lastly, once I buy a pass, how do I actually get a seat on a train?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

The best way of deciding which pass is suitable is I am afraid to do the maths, you'll find the fares on the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en and then their international visitors page, I think it is headed International travellers will give you the cost of the various Passes.

Then all you need do is board your train, there is no need, if fact apart from a few of the tourist trains you cannot book seats on Swiss trains. The Swiss Pass specifically covers most of the trains,post buses and lake steamers and many of the city buses and many museums. It does not give you free travel on the mountain trains, cable cars and funicular railways, on these you get between 25 and 50 per cent reduction. I know it is 25 per cent reduction on the Jungfraujoch trip. Again for your Lugano trips the boat trip will be free and the Monte Bre trip will be half price.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

Below webpage would help you :

www.myswissalps.com/swisspass.asp?lang=EN

Click on link "Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid"

canada
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

Generally speaking, if you can control your timing, the cheapest way is the supersaver tickets. If you don´t mind spending a few minutes to stop and buy a ticket before boarding, Half Fare Card is the way to go. If you don´t want to be bothered with tickets or planning ahead, go for the Swiss Pass.

If you carry only a backpack, you can actually travel from Lugano through Mt Rig to a Lake steamer to Lucerne, saving a day.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

If I'm reading the website correctly, supersaver tickets are only available until the beginning of September. We will be in Switzerland from September 24 to 29th. Am I reading the website correctly.

Another question - if there are no seat assignments on trains, will I have trouble getting a seat and a spot for my luggage. We will be travelling from Lugano to Lucerne and then Lucerne to the Zurich airport.

Thanks again.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

There is a luggage at the back or the front of the coach and you should be able to find place to fit in your luggage in the same. Finding seat too should not be a problem.

NJ
Level Contributor
50 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

Mt Bre ride is divided into two parts: 1st segment by funicular is included in Swiss Pass and the 2nd segment by cable car to the top is not (about 20 francs). The ferry ride to Mt Bre and on the lake is included in Swiss Pass.

There are direct trains, non-direct and scenic boat/train rides between Lugano and Lucerne. The latter takes pretty much your whole day and I think you get enough boat ride while in Lugano. We took the direct train and it takes 2.5 hrs. You pass beautiful scenery and many many lakes on the way.

The second class point to point ticket from Lugano to Lucerne (short route) and Lucerne to Zurich in 2nd class would cost you around $100/adult. If you will absolutely not use public transportation during your stay in Lucerne and Zurich, then buy segment tickets. Otherwise, do a 3 day flexi pass at $200 and pay for the train to Zurich/Zurich Airport (about $25). If staying in Zurich or just sightseeing for a few hours, you will not need transportation. Just do Lucerne to Zurich HB, lock your luggage at the station and old town is right outside. Once finished, pick up your luggage and take the airport train (a few/hours). 4 day consecutive could also be a good option for your if staying total of 4 days in Switzerland ($209). These rates are based on 2 or more adults traveling together, otherwise, they would be $235 & 246.

I have a few posts about traveling in Switzerland on my blog http://www.livingamused.com which could be helpful to you.

Enjoy your trip. Switzerland is absolutely beautiful.

7. Re: Swiss Rail Pass Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 07:23