We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: Zurich to Venice in 15 days via train

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
207 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: Zurich to Venice in 15 days via train

Please give me your suggestions on my itinerary for a late May trip to Switzerland and Northern Italy. What would you add or leave out?

Day 1: Flight Chicago --> Zurich

Day 2: Zurich

Day 3: Zurich --> Lucerne

Day 4: Lucerne --> Bernes-Obberland

Day 5: Bernese-Obberland (Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen)

Day 6:Bernese-Obberland

Day 7:Bernese-Obberland --> Zermatt

Day 8: Zermatt --> Chur via the Glacier Express

Day 9: Chur --> Tirano, Italy via the Bernia Express

Tirano --> Milan

Day 10: Milan

Day 11: Milan--> Verona

Day 12: Verona --> Venice

Day 13: Venice

Day 14: Venice

Day 15: Flight Venice --> Chicago

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,197 reviews
from US$161.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
352 reviews
from US$250.30*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.20*
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: Zurich to Venice in 15 days via train

Hi snsmith27

For me your program would be by far to busy.

If I were you I would skip half of the Switzerland program.

If you would do the Lucerne/Bernese Oberland leg I would choose more time at Lucerne - see www.luzern.org and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) - and in one of the mountain villages of the Bernese Oberland - see www.myjungfrau.ch -. Both places have so much to offer that you could easily spend weeks in each of them.

I would have my first base at the Bernese Oberland and the second base at Lucerne as Lucerne is easier placed for your trip to Milano then the Jungfrau area. Move over Brünig-Hasliberg to Lucerne as this is a very scenic railway line.

If the Glacier Express (takes 8 hours) would be your destination I would start at Zermatt - www.zermatt.ch - do the Glacier Express - http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=34?&L=4 - to St. Moritz - http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/ - in the Engadin valley (instead to stop down in the valley at Chur) which would be your second base. There is so much to see and to do up there that you could spend much more time there as you have available.

From the St. Moritz area you could take the Bernina Express - www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.33.0.html?&L=4 and tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188077-d6… - to Tirano (I), from where you can move to Milano by the italian railway - www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… -. The Bernina Express, a Unesco World Heritage, is the most beautiful railway line in Switzerland in my opinion. Allready the leg from Chur to St. Moritz of the Glacier Express belongs to the Heritage site. You could also do this as a day excursion from the St. Moritz area and visit the different attractions (like the glacier mills) on the way and travel to Lugano via the Palm Express - postauto.ch/en/…pag-angebot-detail.htm -.

Links you will need:

- www.sbb.ch/en for timetables routings and prices of public transport in Switzerland

- www.swisstravelsystem.ch for Swiss railpasses

You will have hard decisions to do, good luck.

pore

2. Re: Itinerary Help: Zurich to Venice in 15 days via train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 05:17