We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Switzerland

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in Switzerland

Next May, my wife and I would love to drive around Switzerland. We love natural sceneries, mountains and lakes, driving in most cases, but can do an hour or two hiking. Will definitely appreciate suggestions on how to plan our trip.

We will start from Geneva with 3 nights over to cover Chateux de Chillon, Chamonix. 1 night over in Zermatt, 1 night in Lugano, 1 night in St. Moritz, 2 nights in Zurich before flying to Milan.

If I were to take 1 stretch of the Glacier Express only, which section would you recommend?

What kind of temperatures can I expect? Are the roads to the mountains open and safe to drive?

Also appreciate tips on good but affordable restaurants.

Many thanks.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Switzerland

Hi singsong1

I would recommend to do the following steps:

1) Look at the Top Questions about Switzerland (TA Switzerland forum)

2) Look at www.myswitzerland.com for heeps of information

3) Rethink your plan and look if it would not be a better idea to travel by public transport which is very comfortable, frequent and on time. Look for timetables at www.sbb.ch/en

4) Please come back with more specific questions. Note this country is full of great scenery, to make you a list would be impossible.

It depends on the winter and the spring weather if the pass roads will be open. To drive in the valleys is normally no problem.

Instead of a three nights base at Geneva I would prefer to have my base in the Montreux/Vevey area.

You can not drive to Zermatt. You would need to leave your car in a parking at Täsch and to take the train up to Zermatt.

Milan is not very far away from Zermatt. Maybe it would help to fly in at Zurich and out from Geneva and take the train from Zermatt to Milan if you really want to see it.

Only one night at Zermatt is not enough. You would not have time to enjoy the scenery up there.

For road trips look at www.viamichelin.ch

For public transport (railway, bus, boats) look at www.sbb.ch/en

Hapy planing

pore

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Switzerland

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Appreciate that.

We thought very high of the public transport system in Switzerland too. Problem is that we've got huge luggage (after a 3 week vacation in Spain & Portugal), and I am not sure whether we can handle luggages on and off trains. We are city folks from HK, I am in early 60's while my wife is med 50's. Both are in reasonable health, but can't handle heavy luggages. My immediate questions are : all stations have lifts or escalators (I'm used to travelling in China and Japan and sometimes these are not available), and there is storage in the rail cars.

Flying in and out of Zurich from Spain, and onwards to Milan are plentiful. But there is no flight from Geneva to Milan. If train from Zermatt to Milan is easier, we may have to replan our itinerary totally.

We love snow capped mountains and lakes, and take lots of pictures every trip. Nice accomodation is a prerequisite for stay over in any location.

We are completely open to suggestions for the 9-day 8 nights itinerary. We've just basically followed the routing of Insight tour. We will fly in from Malaga, Spain on May 5Must be in Milan on May 13 to meet our son there.

A must for this trip is the Glacier Express. I have been to Chamonix, Chateux de Chillon and Geneva many years ago, but this is the 1st time for my wife to visit Switzerland. I want to show her the best, but not really exhaust her. Want to spoil her for delicious meals too.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in Switzerland

Hi singsong1,

One thing you could do is to ship your big bags to your last Swiss destination; they will hold the bags for you while you enjoy travelling through Switzerland. It costs 10 chf per bag to ship each bag on the trains, and there may be a fee of around 5 chf per day if they store your bags for more than a week. You could easily ship your bags from Zurich airport to Zermatt, enjoy the country, then pick up your bags as you leave Zermatt.

Here's a link to more information on this service:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…reisegepaeck.htm

Have fun as you plan!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in Switzerland

Hi singsong1

Swandav is, once more right. It is easy to travel and your luggage problem would be resolved.

The Glacier Express goes from Zermatt to St. Moritz or Davos. As you do not have a lot of time to spend in Switzerland and as you are flying in to Geneva, I could imagine the folowing itinary:

1) Train Geneva - Zermatt (on the road you could visit Chillon castle at Montreux if your flight arrives in the morning). Stay at Zermatt at least for three nights (which are 2 full days to enjoy the area there).

2) Glacier Express - www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/Pages/default.aspx - to the St. Moritz area - www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/winter/en/ -. Spend an other few days in one of the most beautiful areas of the world.

3) Bernina Express - http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4 - from St. Moritz to Tirano (I), one of the most beautiful railway lines you ever saw. From Tirano you would have a direct connection to Milano Centrale by the Italian railway.

Do not preview too many bases and enjoy the areas you visit. There is very much to do around the St. Moritz area and also around Zermatt.

I hope this helps

pore

5. Re: 9 days in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 05:16