We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Online Timetable

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Online Timetable

I have two questions about using the online timetable.

First, oftentimes when I put in a starting point or destination, I'm asked to choose between several stations that start with that name. For example, I put in Fluelen, and I was given a choice of 11 stations, all beginning with Fluelen. How do I know which station I want? Is the main station in a town always listed first?

Second, is there a way to search just for trips by boat? Sometimes a boat trip appears as one of the itineraries, but other times there is no boat itinerary listed, even though I know that the boat makes the trip. Using the above Luzern to Fluelen example, there is no boat itinerary listed.

Thanks for your help.

Marti

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Online Timetable

I suppose you mean the SBB site (www.sbb.ch/en) ?

It appears that the railway stations are listed first, but the abbreviations are confusing to say the least. Perhaps someone "more in the know" who's still around at this time of year will come forward with an answer.

Your part two - on the main page (and on the search connection page) you'll see an *Advanced Search* wording that you can click on. Do so and you get an additional page at the bottom of which are various boxes with all the methods of transport to choose from. Uncheck all but the boat icon, click search connection again, and up comes your trip from Fluelen to Luzern by boat.

BTW, the same advanced search page allows you to choose several "via" options which is sometimes useful to configure quite a complicated journey whereas the simple search only gives the option of one "via".

Have fun!

Edited: 18 December 2010, 16:36
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Online Timetable

Hi martir,

One problem may be the spelling of the town; it is really Flüelen, which is Flueelen.

ok but that just makes it worse, lol. I just did a search and got a whole lot of possible destinations, many more than 11. Most of those stops are bus stops, and the only way to tell, really, is to know where all the bus stops are.

But for train stops, you'll usually want the "Bahnhof," which of course is the train station. For cities with more than one, you'll want the "Hauptbahnhof," or the main train station. For a place like Interlaken, you just have to know which station is closest to what you want.

For lake ferry schedules, I also like to get information from the lake's website. For Lake Lucerne, you can also find the schedules at

lakelucerne.ch/en/…seasonal-timetables.html

You may want to know that google maps usually includes all the bus and train stations when it gives you a city or town map. I love to spend time running around the town on google maps just for fun before I visit a place.

Anyway, have fun!

s

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Online Timetable

The SBB site gets more involved every time I look at it. I see from searching for "tips" on the site that by searching for Fluelen! (with an exclamation mark at the end) forces the site to use the station/stop.

Then, using "Show all details" on the next screen, shows all the various steps for the chosen journey.

Once you're on the screen with all the steps you can click on "Map" to show the route details.

And, being Swiss, you can also click on "Environment" and see how *green* you're being with the earth's resources by using the chosen methods of transport.

Soon a degree from a major university is going to be needed just to use the SBB site. (Just joking). The SBB site never ceases to amaze me as to just what can be found out about Swiss travel by using it.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Online Timetable

The one you want is "Fluelen (Station/Stop)". The others are local bus/boat stops.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Online Timetable

Thanks everyone. I had tried looking at Advanced Search but for some reason I guess I never scrolled down all the way to the bottom of the page where you can choose your method of transportation. And I love the Environmental tool. Very nifty!

6. Re: Using the Online Timetable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 05:17