We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

Dubai
Level Contributor
106 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

Hi...

My wife and I are going to Switzerland this summer for a short holiday on our way back from Oslo. We will be reaching on 29th May evening. I have made a plan which is as under:

29th May : Reach Zurich airport at around 6.00PM and by the time I take my car and get on the road it will be around 8.00PM and I drive stright to Interlaken Ost where I have book a hotel. Reach around 10.30PM

30th May: Take the car and go to Kleine Scheidegg from where we will take the small train to go up to Jungfrau. On the return come back again my trian to Kleine Scheidegg and drive back via Grindelwald to Interlaken.

31st May: Take a boat ride on lake Thun and go to some nearby village and enjoy the country side.

1st June : I have two options. A). Drive early morning to Engelburg and visit Mt. Titlis and in the afternoon drive to Montreux , reaching Montreux late evening or B)> Drop going to Engleburg and drive stright to Montreux and areach in about 2 hours and spend the day in Montreux. Overnight in Montreux.

2nd June : As our flight back is at 10.15PM and the drive time to Zurich is around 2 hours we can leave at around 5PM to reach Zurich airport at around 7.00 PM and get to the check in counter around 8.00PM.

I seak help from some guys to tell me if this is ok or needs some correction. Please advice.

IMPORTANT: Swiss rail pass is a good option as well. My son advised me to take the car so that I can drive the country side and take some nice pictures as I love photography, this would not be possible if I take a train journey. Please adive train or car ??

Regards

Hussain

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
795 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

Please reconsider hiring a car in Switzerland. It is totally unnecessary and, in some cases, a hinderance. For example, you can't drive to Kleine Scheidegg, the closest you can drive is Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and then you'll have to pay parking charges.

The Swiss public transport system is absolutely unbelievable for visitors, on-time (mostly), clean, very efficient, and the various methods (trains, trams, busses, boats) are all integrated. There is a train station in the basement of Zurich airport and various accomodation opportunities close to public transport links in most cities, towns and villages.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

Hi HussainNalwala,

I agree with RacingRog above -- trains are the way to go in Switzerland. They are lots of FUN (one can drive practically anywhere, but a working train system is something almost rare), convenient, and practical. And of course, they are more *grren,* yaaay, so you can leave the Alps as pretty and pristine as they were when you arrived.

There is already a greasy haze of smog that sits over Lake Geneva because of car fumes; you'd probably hate yourself for contributing to it.

If you want to get great vantage points for photography, I favor using my feet or a bike!! Really, you can get to all the best spots by train or bus, then walk a mile or two. You'll see a lot more on your way than you would with a drive-by-shooting type of photography.

You can get all the schedules and fares for your trips at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Good luck as you plan!

s

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
795 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

I've re-read your post and another one from you on the same subject. Whilst the area around Montreux is spectacular I don't think with having two centres and only three full days you'll really be able to do either of them the justice they deserve.

I'd recommend staying your entire time around Interlaken, but not in Interlaken itself. Stay in either ot the mountain villages of Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald, all of which provide easy access to the rail network.

Lakes Thun and Brienz with their boat trips, various mountain railways accessing some spectaular scenery and, if the weather isn't kind, it's a short train trip to Bern which (to me) is a photographers paradise with it's medieval buildings and river scenes.

Taking photos from a moving Swiss train isn't difficult. The ride is exceptionally smooth and, once you're off the main lines and in the mountains, they move slowly enough for you not to worry too much about camera shake, and travel through some really spectacular scenery - some of mine at the link below.

…google.com/racingrog/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

I suggest you stay in Lauterbrunnen, jawing dropping views indeed. We stayed 3 nights with going up to Wengen one day and then Murren the next, just perfect. such amazing scenery I will never forget. On the way to Lauterbrunnen we stayed in Monteux one night so we could get the Golden Pass train up through the mountains to Spiez and on the boat to Interlaken, just because we could. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Then onto the train to Lauterbrunnen, not problems at all. We stayed in the Hotel Oberland, have a look at the reviews on here. I just love Switzerland so very much and cannot wait to come back this year. The Swiss rail pass covers all forms of public transport. Where ever you go in this beautiful country is a photorgrapher's paradise.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 08:25
5. Re: 4 nights 5 days in switzerland...... help in planing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 06:20