We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

roh
munster
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

ok, i am flying to zurich on a sunday evening. because i will not be travelling far, if at all, that evening, i will not need a pass of any kind until the following day.

therefore i need to sort out my pass for the next 6 days until i fly home from zurich late on the following saturday.

i plan on dividing my time between two places, maybe zermatt and one other, yet to be decided. whilst in both places, i plan to do some sledding, and trips to a peak or two. i am also considering maybe two days of skiing. (have not decided yet on the skiing for definite)

so, i think i know that if i want to ski, i have to get a seperate ski day pass for wherever i decide i want to. My question on this is would there be any point in using a pass/flexi pass for that day, if i was to? I mean, it would be a waste wouldnt it?

Im so sorry for all this confusion, but the more i am trying to save money, the worse i am getting!!!

Thanks, all you fab swiss fans>

R

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$163.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,014 reviews
from US$176.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$253.60*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
652 reviews
from US$109.60*
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

Hi roh,

I really understand your frustration and your confusion! It's going to be impossible to do the math until you know where you're going! First decide on your destination stops, and then you can calucalte the costs. You really cannot do any of the calculations until you know which train trips you'll be taking!

Once you decide on your destination/s, you can find the schedules and the fares at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Have fun!

s

roh
munster
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

thanks swandav,

yah i live on the swiss rail site most of the time! I'll be back with more questions!

R

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

Hi roh, this might help or might not.

On the days you go skiing you don't need a SBB rail/bus pass at all but a separate ski lift pass, which is not included at all in the SBB pass (please any real experts correct this if I'm wrong). I don't think the pass or a half fare card give any discounts on ski lift passes.

So for example if you're in Zermatt you walk to the ski lift and use the ski lift pass. If you were in say Interlaken I think you can get a ski lift pass that includes free rail travel to the ski resort, but I'm not exactly sure of the details, just that it is a different ticket to the "normal" SBB pass.

So you're right no point in using a pass/flexi pass for the days you go skiing, but which pass for the other days depends on your planned journeys, as swandav says.

roh
munster
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

yes, thats what i think. I suppose i just want to clarify that the ski pass would be completely seperate from the other swiss pass. Just want to figure out how many days i will go for in the other pass.

one more question, where else in the general zermatt area would be a nice place to ski? we are pretty much beginners,. Im now thinking of maybe spending my first two days in zermatt relaxing and doing a couple of the peaks, and maybe then doing the hard work after to try and justify my trip! Somewhere with sledding would be nice also, and maybe an ice rink!

Thanks R

roh
munster
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

yes, thats what i think. I suppose i just want to clarify that the ski pass would be completely seperate from the other swiss pass. Just want to figure out how many days i will go for in the other pass.

one more question, where else in the general zermatt area would be a nice place to ski? we are pretty much beginners,. Im now thinking of maybe spending my first two days in zermatt relaxing and doing a couple of the peaks, and maybe then doing the hard work after to try and justify my trip! Somewhere with sledding would be nice also, and maybe an ice rink!

Thanks R

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

I'll chime in on the transport pass part of your question. Given that you are going to be traveling to a couple of destinations and up some peaks I recommend you not bother with "the maths" and just buy a Half Fare Card when you get to Zurich airport. It costs 99 CHF and gets you half off of all transportation. I've been to Switzerland 15 times in past 15 years, have done "the maths" half a dozen times, and since Half Fare Card always comes out on top (or very very close) to all other options I save myself the trouble and just buy that.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

The Half fare card has gone up in price to CHF110.

8. Re: doing the 'maths' is confusing me totally!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 12:16