We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

My wife and I have either 5 or 6 nights this summer to see Lucerne and parts of the Swiss Alps before we make our way to Geneva for our flight home.

Before I do some in depth research, I was just looking for suggestions on where to spend those 5-6 nights. I'd like to spend at least one night in Lucerne, but my wife and I are more interested in seeing the mountains, and are looking for some easily accessible places with beautiful views and some cool things to do.

I've heard about places like Interlaken (mixed reviews), Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen Falls, and St. Beatus Caves. I would really appreciate any advice on which are the better options and how to maximize my 5-6 nights. Thanks for the help.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

Hi weather2192,

Grindelwald, Mürren, and Wengen are actually in the Alps, so if you want to be in the Alps, that will do it. Your balcony views will be spectacular, and you'll just have to roll out of bed to begin a nice walk on an Alpine trail! In summertime, Grindelwald tends to be overwhelmed with tour busses, and I favor the car-free villages of Mürren or Wengen anyway, so those would be my top choices.

Lauterbrunnen is at the base of the mountains, so it's close. But to my mind, the views are less spectacular from the bottom than when you are up above.

Interlaken will also be completely overwhelmed by the tour busses and their offloaded passengers -- you get run off the sidewalk, and you can barely elbow your way into a store. Interlaken is ok in the shoulder seasons, but in the summertime, give it a miss.

If it were me, I would spend one night in Luzern, three nights in the Alps, then two nights in Montreux on Lake Geneva before flying out of Geneva.

Have fun!

s

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think we will definitely avoid the huge crowds and stay at one of those places. Is it worth it to go out of the way a bit and go to Zermatt. That was the one thing I forgot to ask. Thanks again for the help.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

We definitely agree with the area suggested above. Our favorite is Murren.

Also, for years, we have been looking for a small place in the Geneva area to stay that was not too much more than an hour from the airport. We finally found it last September, Auberge de la Gare, in Grandvaux. It is about 8 min. by train from Lausanne, up in the vineyards overlooking the lake...beautiful renovations and wonderful food and service.

You trip sounds wonderful. Have a great time.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

Hi again,

Whether you go to Zermatt or not will depend on how much time you'll decide to spend in Switzerland overall.

I don't think it's worth it to rush by a lot of places and spend only one or two days there while spending an entire day in transport between the places. You end up having a very shallow introduction to the wonderful Alps and too much time inside a closed-up, moving box!

With only a short time in the country, I think it's best to see fewer places but see them in some depth. Spend your time outside, enjoying the views and the clean air, rather than inside a moving box.

Have fun!

s

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

Thanks again for the suggestions, both of you. If it takes that much travel time to Zermatt, we will probably skip it.

6. Re: Lucerne to Geneva - looking for itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 13:17