We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

My husband I are thinking of getting Swiss Pass for our 4 day stay in Lucerne and Berner Oberland area. It seems like a great deal, but I would like to confirm what is covered/discounted by the Pass. Here is our itinerary and would you please tell me if there is anything I got wrong?

Fly into Zurich airport - train to Luerne (free) - Lucerne lake cruise (free) - train to Interlaken (free) - train to Lauterbrunnen Valley (free) - cable car up to Muerren (free) - cable car up to Shilthorn (50%) - Interlaken to Montreux scenic train (free, we'll take a regular train for the Golden Pass route) - Chateau de Chillon (free) - boat to Lausanne (free)

Thank you very much!

Edited: 17 February 2011, 13:40
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Yes, you are correct. We also like the convenience of the pass. You can come and go as you please during the days of the pass. Also, if the two of you plan to always travel together you can save 15% with the Swiss Saver Pass. We always get 2nd class passes, but this past trip we upgraded to 1st for the boat ride from Chillon to Lausanne for just a few francs. Have a great trip. Switzerland is beautiful.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

While at Luzern you can also do a round trip up the Rigi mountain which is covered by the Swiss Pass. Boat to Vitznau to Rigi Kulm by train down the other side of the mountain to Arth-Goldau returning to Luzern by main line train. There are varients to this trip, ie; do it in reverse, get off the boat at Weggis and take the cable car up to Kaltbad connecting with the train higher up the Rigi, take the mainline train to Kusnacht then bus to Weggis or Vitznau.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 15:30
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Thank you so much for your replies, happycanesfan and mostlybytrain!! My hubby and I will be together all the time, hopefully ;), so 15% savings sounds great.

We haven't figured out details during our stay in Luzern, so Mt. Rigi will make a perfect day.

Has any of you done the Golden Pass scenic tour with Swiss Pass? I read that we can enjoy the same scenic route,only without the advantage of panorama trains (which we'll be gladly sacrifice for the free travel). Is there a specific train for the scenic route, or can we get on any train between Luzern and Montreux? In other words, is there a special rail road designated to the Golden Pass tour, or do all the trains share the same route?

Thanks a lot again!!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Yes you can get on any train on this route which is operated by three different railway companies it is on the last leg of the trip from Zweisimmen to Montreux where you will find the panoramic trains your pass is valid but you have to pay extra for seat reservations if you can find an empty seat you can pay on the train. www.mob.ch www.rail.ch

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Thank you!!! I

just searched the connection from Interlaken to Montreux, and came up with many results with different stopovers (Bern, Visp, etc.), but was able to find the exact route by putting via city as Zweisimmen. As long as the schedule has Interlaken – Spiez - Zweisimmen – Gstaad – Montreux route, I can pick whatever that fits our schedule. Is it right?

You also mentioned the route is operated by three different companies. Am I supposed to decide which company I want to/should ride with? Or, again, as long as they stay within the same route, can I select any schedule regardless of operating companies?

Thank you very much!

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Your route would be

Lucerne to Interlaken Ost trains leave at 04 past the hour and arrive 2 hours later - get any train no reservations necessary some are labelled Panoramic Express but they are just the same. Sit on the right for the best voews of the lakes from Sarnen onwards. Don't panic when the train reverses at Meiringen you are on the best side for views of Brienzersee now

(that bit was the bit I know best!)

Interlaken Ost to Spiez - get any train sit on the right for views of Thunersee - it's only about 15 to 20 mins

Spiez to Zweisimmen again any train

Zweisimmen to Montreux go for the trains that are Regio rather than the Golden Pass - it's only on the Golden Pass that reservations are recommended. The regio ones are slower but probably less crowded.

You can break your journey anywhere and just get on the next train

Have fun

Gibel

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

WOW... Thanks a lot for the tip! I am going to print out everything here and bring to my trip!! :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Hi everyone, I just realized that we have to change our inbound/outbound cities, so we'll probably take train to Luzern or Montreux from Salzburg. I posted another question about the reversed route on the scenic railway in this forum. Hope you don't feel like your previous replies were wasted. They are extremely helpful!! Thanks again & if you guys have any thoughts/answers to my other question, I'll really appreciate it. :)

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

"You also mentioned the route is operated by three different companies. Am I supposed to decide which company I want to/should ride with? Or, again, as long as they stay within the same route, can I select any schedule regardless of operating companies?"

Each company runs a section of the route and all have other routes and transport concerns. The neeed for two changes of train is a change of gauge of rails. www.zentralbahn.ch www.bls.ch www.mob.ch

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Pass coverage: Lucerne-Montreux

Thanks for the clarification! :)