We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Hi,

Our last base in Switzerland is Morges, from where we need to travel to Zurich(stay overnight) and to catch our flight for home next morning.

We would have already traveled the scenic routes between Lucerne and Interlaken and other Bernese Oberland routes in the previous days (Our Itinerary is Lucerne-Lauterbrunnen-Morges - 3 days each) and prefer a different route now.

So, my question is what would be the best route to enjoy the scenery between Morges and Zurich. We dont mind a couple of changes or an extra hour.

I have a rough idea of the route (through Biel) from www.sbb.ch but do not know whether it will be scenic.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

You won't see anything as scenic as the Oberland on this journey, as it crosses the only really flat part of the country.

From Morges to Solothurn, you will have the Jura hills on your left, quite close at hand. Between Yverdon and Biel, you will have lakes on your right, with the Alps as a backdrop if the weather is clear.

Between Solothurn and Olten the train takes a high-speed stretch of line, a lot of which is in tunnels so there isn't much to see. After Olten, the landscape becomes progressively more built-up as you approach the suburbs of Zurich.

Going via Delémont and Basel will give you rural scenery for longer, but you will have to change trains in Basel and will miss one of the lakes - probably not worth the detour.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Thanks for the prompt response. The Jura hills and lakes sound interesting though.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Just to correct my previous post... you would not miss the lakes if you went via Basel, as the two routes split after Biel. Apologies for that.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Hi vs_hi,

Well, this is really an out-of-the-way routing, but it's one that I really love. The whole thing will take about five hours, and it has either three or four changes, depending on which connection you choose. If you decide to do this, it would make sense to send your heaviest bags ahead using the Swiss luggage service (20 chf per bag for one-day service).

Take the train from Morges to Montreux; this is a wonderful little trip hugging the lake. You'll have the lake on one side of you and the hills of the Lavaux vineyards on the other side.

At Montreux, take the scenic Golden Pass train (via Zweisimmen and Gstaad) to Spiez, moving from the lake through the Prealps and into the edges of the high Alps. Then take the IC from Spiez to Zürich.

You can get this routing if you use

From Morges

To Zürich

Via Gstaad

Have fun!

s

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Thanks swandav for the reply, your description of the Montreux-Morges section is tempting! Cant wait until next week to start my Switzerland trip.

I would have already done the Montreux-Morges section by then. Also, during my time golden pass train via Zweisimmen and Gstaad will not be operational. (between 26th April to mid-May). And I would have already covered most of that route while doing the Lauterbrunnen-Montreux-Morges part of my journey earlier.

I am thinking of going with the suggestion of neuch, going upto Basel and then to Zurich.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Personally I think it IS very worthwhile to take the train through the Jura from Morges to Basel, via Delémont. The scenery, while not as spectacular as the Oberland, is just beautiful and very different. The train runs along the lakes of Neuchatel and Bienne and then winds into the Jura to reach delémont which is a dead end station so you see the same lovely scenery twice, entering and leaving the town. The train then runs up to Basel. You would be able to have several hours in Basel before taking a train to the airport and Basel is a wonderful city with a HUGE old town and great atmosphere. Check your bags at the station and take a tram to the Marktplatz then walk up to the Spalentor and then to the Munster. Plenty of places to eat in that area too.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Thank you Hambagahle for your suggestions about Basel...

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Hi again,

wow, that's really too bad about the rail service on the Golden Pass tracks. I just took at look at the schedule for your dates, and, yes, there is substitute bus and lots of rail transfers. I hope it's over soon.

Well, I'm glad you'll be seeing the landscape earlier in your trip -- it's a favorite of mine.

I did take the route via Biel, Yverdon, and Lausanne one time, but I wasn't as impressed with the scenery; I haven't seen anything north of Biel, though, so I hope it's lovely for you!

I do agree with Hambagahle about Basel -- if you can stop over for a few hours, you'll thank yourself!

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

The reason that the Golden Pass service is interupted - and this will continue on and off for a few yaers - is that the line is being upgraded so that changes between Montreux and Spiez do not have to happen. Some parts of the tracks are being re laid and new trains with "adjustable" bogeys are on order for those parts that will not be re laid...

I think I rememebr seeing a notice at the Montreux station saying that all will be finished by around 2015.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "scenic" route from Morges to Zurich

Thanks Hambagahle! I'll file that away for my future trips!

s