We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do EU citizens need a passport?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
807 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Do EU citizens need a passport?

Hello, I have a Greek ID card but not a passport and I am looking at booking a flight to Spain which has a 5 hour layover in Geneva.

Does anyone know if it is necessary for me to have a passport?

Thank you.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do EU citizens need a passport?

This is not the forum to ask this question it would be better put to the Swiss embassy in Greece. Having said that personal opinion is that if Greece is part of the Schengen area then I would think so, but I'm not an expert.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
807 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do EU citizens need a passport?

Not the forum to ask in??? Where should I have asked it then, in the Cambodia forum???

Anyway, I had to ask here because it was a Sunday, but I phoned today and it turns out you're right. Thanks for your reply....

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do EU citizens need a passport?

I'm pretty sure in this case "forum" = "venue", not "the Switzerland forum on TripAdvisor". Because asking a bunch of strangers on an internet message board is NOT the best way to get advice regarding the legalities of international travel.

4. Re: Do EU citizens need a passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 01:15