We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking along aletsch glacier

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
hiking along aletsch glacier

i plan to view the aletsch glacier at Eggishorn in fall. i wonder if anyone knows about any hiking trail at Eggishorn. i wish i could hike from Eggishorn -> Restaurant Gletscherstube -> along the ridge to view aletsch glacier and ends at Bettmeralp. please advise if this is doable or have better idea.

thanks

Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

I'm not sure why you want to drop down to the Gletscherstube - it's down on Märjelensee, way down from the ridge, basically right on the glacier. Better views to stay on the ridge and go from Eggishorn to Bettmerhorn - I think it's called the UNESCO Höhenweg. I've done the hike from Märjelensee to Bettmeralp along the "back side" - you see the glacier but you still have to pop up over the ridge to get back down to Bettmeralp and it's *long*. 360 degree views on the ridge route. Have a look here, especially at the videos: bettmeralp.alpmove.ch/4_3/YT_start4.asp…

Another option is Bettmerhorn to Riederfurka, again along the ridge. Fairly steep downhill at the beginning but then it levels out. I'd call it intermediate.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

By far the best hike in this area is Bettmerhorn (or Hohfluh) to Marjelesee, Gletscherstube, Fiescheralp. It's very scenic with a great view of the glacier and the option to do a short side trip to touch it. At Gletscherstube you can decide if you want to take the shorter trip via a tunnel (a flash light can help but it works without) or the longer and more scenic around the mountain.

You can find details here www.wanderland.ch/en/routen_detail.cfm…

a good online hiking map is on the same site http://map.wanderland.ch/

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

thanks for your advisor and info. i understand the geographic much better now.

thanks so much

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

Mube,

thanks for you advise and info. i wonder if the following hike make sense to you, i will hike from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp (just like u suggested) then from Fiescheralp i will take lift to Eggishorn to see the aletsch glacier. you also mention about a short trail that leads to the glacier, can u tell me where exactly is the trail?? and how long is the trail?? thanks again

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

Yes that makes a lot of sense, I did it the last time as well like that. Buy a Hiking Pass Aletsch. The Pass costs 40 (25 with Half Fare Card) CHF for a day and includes all cable cars of the area. It's anyway the cheapest option when doing this trail and you get any other cable car ride (for example to the Eggishorn) for free.

Just when you reach the more or less plane area around Marjelesee there are signs marking the trail to the glacier. You can see the trail on this map eggishorn.ch/jwa/VFS-DFA-295839-Sommerinfo_2…

6. Re: hiking along aletsch glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 06:32