We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

Acton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

Hello - my husband and I are meeting his aunt and uncle in Switzerland in August to do some hiking in the Berner Oberland region. After spending a few days with them we have three days to go elsewhere and I can't decide between Lausanne or Lucerne. I have always wanted to see Lausanne since I've heard it's a beautiful city, but Lucerne also sounds beautiful. In general, my husband and I are looking for a beautiful city to walk around in and take in a few sites. We're not big nightlife people. Also, I should mention that we will need to end up in Zurich to catch our flight home. Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

Bearing in mind you leave from Zurich it would make sense to go to Lucerne. If you are spending time in the Berner Oberland you could if you wish take the boat from Interlaken Ost to Brienz and pick up the train there and go over the Brunig Pass to Lucerne. See the Swiss Rail website at www.sbb.ch for train times and www.bls.ch for the boat timetable and go to navigation at the top of the BLS site,

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

thanks for the sharing, I'm thinking bout visiting beautiful switzerland in april next year, who knows, I might just end up in Lausanne, it looks beautiful!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,137 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

Lausanne is very nice but it is not the best place for first time visitors... If you are thinking about being on a lake, and flying in and out of Zürich then I agree with the above posters that Luzern is more practical. Next time you come, visit the French speaking part - la Suisse Romande - and stay on lake Léman at Montreux. You can make a day trip easily to Lausanne from there...

4. Re: Three days: Should we go to Lausanne or Lucerne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 05:18