We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need swiss path suggestion

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
need swiss path suggestion

Hi all Swiss lovers/experts,

my gf and i want to spend a full day exploring Swiss path during my trip to switzerland in sept. For what i know so far 1 day might not be enough to see everything. So i want to get some advise on how we can get the most of swiss path in 1 full day.

here are some background info,

1. we will stay in old town Luzern during that time

2. this is our first time in Switzerland.

3. we are fit to hike 5 hrs in a day

4. we don't mind getting up really early

5. we will have swiss pass

thanks so much

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need swiss path suggestion

I am not familiar with Swiss path but I think you might mean Swiss walking trails? Could you clarify what you want to do, please?

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need swiss path suggestion

hi Kileysmom, please see link below

luzern.com/en/navpage-ExcursionExperienceLU-…

the Swiss path is a hiking trail along Lake Uri, it connects town like Seedorf, Bauen, Brunnen............... so much to offer but i don't enough time to explore all.

hope this clarify my question

thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need swiss path suggestion

Hi hikingKiwi,

No, that's a famous path.

Sorry I don't have any great suggestions for you, just some ideas.

Have you considered cycling parts of it? You can rent mountain bikes at the Luzern train station, and that way you can cover more parts of the path. You can also take the bikes on the ferries for 5chf, so you can skip over some parts and see parts of the lake system by ferry (which is a great way to go).

Anyway, using the combination of bikes & ferries, you may be able to see more --

Have fun!

s

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need swiss path suggestion

Thanks for clarifying! I don't hike other than around Zermatt so was not aware of this famous path. Hope you find what you neeed to know!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need swiss path suggestion

Also described here: www.wanderland.ch/en/routen_detail.cfm…

If you only have one day, I would suggest you stick to the parts of the path on the west side of the lake (stage 2 in my link above). The route the path follows on the eastern side looks to me like it's squeezed into a narrow lakeside space alongside the railway, and might be less attractive simply because it's more urban.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 09:13
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need swiss path suggestion

You can download an English version of The Swiss Path brochure at:- brunnentourismus.ch/images/…Prospekt 2011 E.pdf

Alternatively you can order a copy at:- www.brunnentourismus.ch/

Edited: 17 July 2011, 10:05
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need swiss path suggestion

For some reason the first link will not load. You will need to manually add the missing end section as follows.

(space)2011(space)E.pdf.

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need swiss path suggestion

thanks kileysmom, swandav, neuch & swissaholic,

swandav - thanks for the biking idea, have you done it before?? just want to be sure bike is allowed on the swiss path.

neuch - if i do section 2 on the swiss path as u suggested, can i include Rutli and tellskapelle in my plan. is it doable in 1 day? i guess i will have to land at Rutli then railway to Seelisberg........section 2.............hike to tellskapelle and ferry back to luzren. is that make sense to u?

swissaholic - thanks for info, i already read the brochure before i post the inital question. but i can't decide on which section of the Swiss path to explore since every section/town seems so attractive.

thanks again

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need swiss path suggestion

< if i do section 2 on the swiss path as u suggested, can i include Rutli and tellskapelle in my plan. is it doable in 1 day? i guess i will have to land at Rutli then railway to Seelisberg........section 2.............hike to tellskapelle and ferry back to luzren. is that make sense to u?>

That sounds like a lot for one day.... Seelisberg to Flüelen is five and a half hours according to wanderland.ch, plus another 90 minutes if you start from Rütli, plus an hour from Flëlen to the Tellskapelle.

You might want to skip what looks like a very steep climb from Rütli to Seelisberg and, as I think you are suggesting, get the funicular up from Treib. The whole thing would then take between 5 and 6 hours from Seelisberg to Tellkapelle (timings calculated from an online map, I have not done this walk myself).

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need swiss path suggestion

neuch, thanks for ur insight.

any experts out there familiar with the Swiss path?? i hope i can get more info/suggestion.

thanks