We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Hiii..

As part of my 8 day swiss trip in mid august, I will be spending 3 days in grindelwald and will be doing the following (based on inputs from TA experts):

Hikes frm Mannlichen to Kleine Schneidegg and First to Bachalpsee

Trip to Juangfrouch

Visits to Wengen, Murren and Lauterbrunnen

Depending on weather on specific days, had broken down the 3 days as follows:

DAY1: Trip to Juangfrouch in the morning and return to Grindelwald via Wengen

DAY2: Do both hikes (provided they are not tiring and close by)

DAY3: Travel to Lauterbrunnen and then to Murren; return to Grindelwald in evening and proceed to Lucerne

Would request your thoughts if this would be the best way to arrange the itinerary or whether I should and can spread out the hikes over the 2 days..

Any inputs wd be really appreciated..

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

<DAY2: Do both hikes (provided they are not tiring and close by)>

You should be aware that the two hikes are on completely different sides of the valley. Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg are up above Grindelwald to the west, while First and the Bachalpsee are on the eastern side of the valley. You will therefore have to drop all the way back down to Grindelwald to get from one hike to the other. To get from the end of one hike to the start of the other one by train and cable-car, you should allow at least an hour.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 13:32
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Thnx for ur feedback..

So could we do one hike in the morning, come back to grindelwald for lunch and do the other post lunch?

How much time do u think we should devote to each?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Depending on how fast you walk and how many pictures you stop to take, the Männlichen to KS walk will take you 1.5 to 2 hours.

Roundtrip First to Bachalpsee is about 3 hours walking.

Plus transport time, which you can research at www.sbb.ch.

Other than the First to Bachalpsee hike, everything else you have planned to do is more easily/quickly accessible from a Wengen base rather than a Grindelwald base.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,495 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

I agree with kimsanjose about your base. It seems that most of what you want to do would be tons easier from Wengen. And Wengen, unlike Grindelwald, is car-free.

Also it is the "Jungfraujoch" Effectively it is the saddle or col between two mountains, the Mönch and the Jungfrau.

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Thanx very much for ur responses and apologies for the spellings..

Unfortunately, have already made reservations at Grindelwald..had heard its close to wengen/murren so decided on it..

Just wanted to know if the itinerary could be improved in any way like say spreading the two hikes over 2 mornings and then exploring wengen/murren/lauterbrunnen in the afternoons/evenings..

If doing the hikes on the same day are possible as indicated above, will stick to the original schedule..

Also, are there any must-visit restaurants at wengen/murren? Since we will only be having one meals at each..

Thnx in advance..

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,495 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Grindelwald IS close to Wengen and Mürren. Only thing is - it is on the other side of the mountain. Either you go over the mountain on the train via Kleine Scheidegg, then Wengen, then continue to Lauterbrunnen where you go up to Mürren OR you go around the mountain, change trains, and go to Lauterbrunnen, then up to Wengen.

Either route is pretty. But both take time.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

It takes an hour to get to either Murren or Wengen from Grindelwald. So, if you can cancel your reservations and change to a Wengen base you will cut your transport time. If not, just plan the trip time into your schedule.

You could do the First Bachalpsee hike one morning (this is the only activilty you have planned that is close to Grindelwald), then take a trip to Murren in the afternoon. The Alpenruh is an excellent restaurant there, as is La Grotte. The former has a view.

Another day you could take the gondola from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen, walk down to KS, have lunch there. Take the train down to Wengen and explore the village. Nice spots for dinner: Hotel Schöenegg, Hotel Berghaus, Pizzeria da Sina.

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Hii kimsanjose,

Tht was most helpful, thnx for taking the time..

Its not possible for me to change my bookings now so will move along the lines u mentioned..doesn't seem that strenous..

Thanks all the same..

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Hii kimsanjose,

Its not possible for me to change my bookings now so will move along the lines u mentioned..doesn't seem that strenous..

Thanks all the same..

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning 3 day itinerary in grindelwald

Hii kimsanjose,

Thanks all the same..