We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Hello,

I will be in Switzerland from 30 Sep to Oct 6 and plan to cover the Interlaken area and Montreux area. Here is my proposed itinerary:

Sep 30 travel to Lauterbrennen from Zurich via Interlaken.

Oct 1 -Oct 4 Jungfrau, Murren, the Falls and other attractions in area

Oct 4. leave for Montreux via Golden Pass line

Oct 5 Chocolate Train

Oct 6 Montreux to Zurich airport. Flight to Vienna in evening.

Any thoughts on the above? Does this seem feasible?

What would be the best option for Swiss pass - the Half Fare card or Swiss Flexi Pass? We are 4 adults traveling from U.S.

Any suggestions/tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Hi ilove_K,

Just one small note -- the Golden Pass route and the Chocolate Train route cover a lot of the same territiory, so you'll be seeing the same views repeatedly on your return trip. If you want to do Gruyeres and Broc on your own, you can do it with a small detour off the Golden Pass route and save yourself some time on Oct 5.

To get the best rail deal, someone just has to do the math. You can get all the train fares at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Add them up, then compare the sum to the various passes and discount cards.

Have fun!

s

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

I would add to what Swandav has said remember that the Swiss Pass includes transport in many of the towns and entry to most museums. It also allows you to change your minds having started a journey. I mean you might go out meaning to go to Berne and end up going to Geneva. To me it's worth the consideration. It also saves you queuing at the ticket office.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

Thank you Swandav. I wouldn't like to repeat the journey since I am trying to maximize all that I can see in a short period of time. I think your suggestion of covering Broc and Gruyeres on the way to Montreux will provide me with extra time to do more.

Thanks! :)

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Thanks Swisslover. I will definitely keep myself open to options.

5. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 21:17