We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
520 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

Hi- with most of the sightseeing plans out of the way, I am now trying to include some of the local culinary experiences in the itinerary. We are spending time in Lucerne and Wengen. Here's what I have so far

1. Cheese: Would like to visit some cheese making shop. Seems like Swiss Gruyère is the best place to visit for this. Ay suggestions how to best include it in the itinerary (or any alternates)?

2. Chocolate: I dont think I can include a Chocolate Train day in my plans. Any other factory I can visit in Switzerland, not too far from Lucerne or Wengen?

3. Cuisine: We are vegetarians, hence quite limited in terms of what we can eat. To clarify, cheese and milk products are fine, but meat/ chicken/ seafood etc is not. Any vegetarian variations of the traditional Swiss foods that we can enjoy?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,715 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

The Demonstration Cheese Factory in Gruyères is most interesting. The Cailler factory - really a museum to chocolate! - in Broc is also worth a visit.

Both are a fair distance from either Luzern or Wengen. Look at train and bus schedules on this site:

www.sbb.ch/en

For Broc, enter Broc-Fabrique as the destination and you will arrive at the factory. The "Chocolate train" leaves from Montreux for Broc and it would be really out of the way to go there on that. Probably easiest is to do both on one long day trip from Wengen:

Wengen/Lauterbrunnen/InterlakenOst/Spiez/Zweisimmen/Montboven/ Gruyères

Then

Gruyères/Broc Fabrique

Then Broc Fabrique/Montboven/Zweisimmen and etc to Wengen.

by the way this route takes you through Gstaad. you might want to stop there and walk around, or stop in Saanen, the station before.. At Gruyères take the time to walk up the hill and visit the village which is pretty, and its château which is a museum.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

Hi Ankurk

1. There are two show dairies in Central Switzerland.

- Engelberg (from where you visit Mt. Titlis): www.schaukaeserei-engelberg.ch/main-en.html (from 11 am to 4 pm)

- Steinen/Schwyz (close to the Schwyz railway station): http://www.milchstrasse.ch/ (only groups in the early morning)

2. The choclate train is too far away from Lucerne. You could visit Flawil east of Zurich (which is also far) - see Top Questions about Switzerland) There are chocolatiers around every where. They do not produce their own choclate but they make products out of choclate. There is one at Interlaken.

3. One of the great Swiss meals is Älplermaggronen. If you eat them in the Lucerne area there is no meat in it. Best place for this is on top of Stanserhorn - www.stanserhorn.ch and Top Questons about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) -. It contains potatoes, pasta and cheese. The cowboys on the Alps eat this.

And of course there is Raclette and cheese Fondue which you can eat all over Switzerland.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,715 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

In Interlaken the Grand Restaurant Schuh makes fabulous chocolates and they offer a "Chocolate Show" every afternoon at 3pm. It costs 30frs per person and includes a tasteing. They show you how chocolates are made from blocks of chocolate. The Cailler Factory will show you how chocolate itself is made from the bean onwards...

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

So that you are not disappointed, I'll just pitch in to let you know that sadly Gruyere cheese is not vegetarian, as it contains an ingredient from a cow's stomach. As I like this cheese very much, I tend to just not think about it, and eat it anyway, but this is my only concession....I thought I'd let you know in case this was important to your beliefs.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

You can eat Fondue, Rösti, Raclette,Cheese Spätzli to name a few. And ofcourse Muesli for breakfast ;)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

Most of the Rösti (potatoes) variations are vegetarian, but choose carefully, sometimes there is ham or bacon used with it. Otherwise there are so many modes of preparation and ingredients, or you take a plain one just with a sunny side up egg.

Then there are also a lot of variations of Risotto, a rice dish. Try the one with the mushrooms. Mushroom season has started and there are a lot of dishes with fresh mushrooms, a delice.

Also Polenta, a mais dish, is vegetarian.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,715 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

If the rennet used to make Gruyère cheese is also used to make Bagnes cheese (Raclette cheese) then fondues and raclettes are out for vegetarians. Eggs might/might not be too.

Mushrooms are very good this year! Our market had lots this morning.

Risotto is very often made with chicken stock.

Being a vegetarian in Seitzerland is not easy!!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

Mushrooms indeed are excellent this year. Our protection period ended yesterday and we found so much we could feed the whole neighbourhood.

As for cheese: many cheeses are produced with calf rennet as far as I know. You only know defintiviely if it is mentioned on the label if natural rennet is used or if it is substituted with microbial, vegetal or genetically engineered rennet.

9. Re: Experiencing the Local Foods/ Specialities in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 17:17