We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spa and train

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spa and train

Hi

we are planning 5 days at the end of Feb and wish to spend a couple of days at a spa accessable by train and then do some train trips with great scenery. Have yet to book our flights(from London) so are flexible

John

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spa and train

My favourite thermal baths are Lavey les Bains. They have a hotel attached.

http://www.lavey-les-bains.ch/

To get there you take the train to St. Maurice and then the bus to a bus stop called Lavey les bains, et. therm You can plan this journey on www.rail.ch

As the baths are in a rural area, the buses stop fairly early, so you would need to plan your days quite carefully. There are nice mountain views, but you are not up in the mountains.

If I were to have a spa holiday in Switzerland, Lavey les bains would be my pick.

If you wanted to be up in the mountains, then the Alpentherme baths in Leukerbad are nice:

leukerbad.ch/en/…17476

You can also get there by public transport (train to Leuk, then bus to Leukerbad).

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spa and train

Hi macjon,

ooooh, I'd recommend Scuol, right on the main train line of the Engadin Valley. It is surrounded by the peaks of the Lower Engadin with incredible hiking available too. Nearby towns to visit are: Ardez, Guarda, Zuoz, and even St. Moritz or Pontresina if you want to go that far.

Here are links to information on the baths:

scuol.ch/en/navpage-BognEngiadinaSCUOL.html

http://www.cseb.ch/Bad-de/AktuellesBad

I couldn't get them to load in English, but you can always translate them using google's translation tools

And information on Scuol:

http://www.scuol.ch/en/welcome.cfm

Have fun!

s

Edited: 14 October 2011, 08:06
london
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spa and train

Hi

We are now thinking of taking the goldenpass route from Zurich to Geneve. Are the any spa on the route? and what would your suggestions be for were to stay given we will take 5 days. Living in London we would prefer to get out of cities. Would it be best to stayin Interlaken and use that as a base for the 5 days.

Any suggestions or tips very welcome

Thanks in Advance

John

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spa and train

We are now thinking of taking the goldenpass route from Zurich to Geneve. Are the any spa on the route? and what would your suggestions be for were to stay given we will take 5 days. Living in London we would prefer to get out of cities. Would it be best to stayin Interlaken and use that as a base for the 5 days.

Any suggestions or tips very welcome

Thanks in Advance

John

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spa and train

There are serveral good spa hotels in and around Gstaad on the goldenpass route. Spa is here called Wellness (don't ask me why) www.gstaad.ch/en/page.cfm/Enjoyment/Wellness

The close public spa place are the already mentioned Lavey les Bains and the as well very nice http://www.les-bains-de-charmey.ch/ in the Gruyeres area. You could visit the one in Charmey as a day from Montreux or Gstaad trip for example together with the chocolate and cheese factory.

<Would it be best to stayin Interlaken and use that as a base for the 5 days.>

Depends what you want to visit and what you expect from the town. Interlaken is a very good hub to get around and nice town. But don't expect something very authentic. If you want to visit the Jungfrau area you might stay in one of the mountain villages, it's in the middle of the ski season then, so book the accomondation early if you want to stay in any ski village/town (counts as well for the Gstaad area).

Here an example of possible itinereary with the Golden pass train.

Day 1 to Geneva and straight to Montreux, look around in the town.

Day 2 Day trip the Gruyeres area (Cheese factory and town&castel, then cholcolcate factory and spa)

Day 3 Golden Pass train to Interlaken, continue to Mürren, in the afternoon visit the Schilthorn.

Day 4 second part of the Golden pass train to Lucerne visit mount Rigi via Vitznau (very scenic boat and mountain train ride). Overnight in Lucerne or maybe Vitznau.

Day 5 to Zurich

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spa and train

If you are interested in the baths at Charmey, which I also like very much, then the closest bus stop is Charmey, Corbettaz. You catch this bus from Bulle station.

You can also travel from the chocolate factory. The train station for the chocolate factory is Broc Fabrique.

7. Re: Spa and train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:16