We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

Cataluña
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

Hello,

We are a family with two little children (2 and 4 years old) and we want to go to the Lausanne region. We want to do all the excursions by public transport and we don't know if worst the Swiss Saver Pass because we only are going to do next trips:

I hope to be in a appartment near Lausanne (I have to search this, too)

and we have thing to do:

Day 1) Lausanne- Geneve (by train)

Day 2)Lausanne- Bern (by train)

Day 3)Lausanne-Chillon (by boat?) and go to Montreux to go to the chocolate train (to Gruyere)

Day 4)Lausanne-Nyon and boat to Yvoire

And obviously the tickets between airport of Geneve and Lausanne...

We want to go one day to Juraparc (for the children), but I think there is no trains...

It's not a lot of trips and how the Swiss Pass is so far expensive I would like to know if for this planning it's better buying it or not.

Thanks a lot.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$161.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
351 reviews
from US$250.00*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.10*
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,925 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

Swiss Pass will cover all this transport but you really should total up the point-to-point costs to see if just paying the normal fare is not cheaper. Your two children will travel free of charge so you just have to worry about tickets for your husband and yourself.

To get the actual prices use the CFF site:

www.sbb.ch/en Just add them all up and compare the total to a 4 day Swiss Pass.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

You have to do math to know the best deal. I guess with this routes a Half Fare Card might be the most economical.

<We want to go one day to Juraparc (for the children), but I think there is no trains...> Yes it's one of the few places which are not really reachable by public transport. However if you are looking for a nice zoo or place in the nature there are some better places that are closer and easy to reach by public transport from Lausanne. Zoos are for example La Garenne or zoo de Servion

Cataluña
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

Thanks a lot,

I would try to count every singualr ticket and see the difference between Swiss Card and Swiss Pass...

Chilecito, La...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

I think the Leman Pass would be the adequate ticket.

cff.ch/loisirs-et-vacances/vacances-en-suiss…

Costs 119 CHF per person and covers the entire Leman Region. You can travel 3 days free of cost and 4 days at half fare.

In comparison the Swiss Pass for 4 days costs 266 CHF per person. So you have to spend around 70 francs a day otherwise it's not worth it. Lausanne-Bern-Lausanne costs less (62 francs) and all your other trips will be shorter and less expensive.

You should check if the Leman Pass is valid on the chocolate train.

www.goldenpass.ch/precios_train_du_chocolat

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

Hi RosaG,

Don't forget to include the Half Fare Card, which mube notes, in your calculations. It costs 110 chf and gives you half off nearly everything that moves for one month. It's what I always use on my annual trips to Montreux.

Have fun!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

If money is a concern, you might want to consider staying in Vevey or Montreux. There you get a free Riveria card with most types of tourist accommodation - this will allow you free local bus travel and 50% of a number of museums, and tourist trains. You could use it to get part of the way to Gruyeres, to get 50% off the train ride up to the beautiful Rochers de Naye, money off boat journeys, and money off entry fees for Chateau de Chillon. With just 4 days, you could easily spend your time around the lake (including one day for Gruyeres and the chocolate factory plus the thermal baths at Charmey if you'd like).

7. Re: Swiss Pass for moving round Lake Leman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:16