We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to gruyere region

Porto, Portugal
7 posts
Save Topic
traveling to gruyere region

Hi there it's my first post here, i'm gonna travel for gruyere region in february, i will be there for 15 days, i think i'm gonna in the end of february.

I have some questions:

- its normal that snow falls in the end of february?

- Anyone have some tip's for me for what to see and where to go during my stay?

Thanks in advance

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Hi Luisswisslove and wellcome on the forum

Unfortunately weather is not predictable in a long term. You can have a look on www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/de.html

Normally would be the coldest month and it will be less chilly by the end of the month and in March. Snow falls are possible and the roads can be icy and snow covered.

To start your planing up read the many informations on the Top Questions about Switzerland (right side of your actual screen) and look at www.myswitzerland.com

As you do not tell us what your interests and your priorities are, it is not possible to give you tips.

pore

Porto, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Hi pore

Thanks for reply

i already have been in switzerland this year, my priorities are sight seeing, i will travel by car.

i'm planning to do the road from gruyere to interlaken by juanpass, what do you think?

by your experience there are many roads closed during february?

Since i'm gonna stay there for 15 days, i have lots of time to travel

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Hi Luisswisslover

February is normally a bad time for car trips in Switzerland. Most of the famous pass roads will be closed. For Jaun pass (and also col des Mosses) it depends the weather. Also it can be difficult to drive if there is ice and snow on the roads, especialy if you are not used to. In any case you would need a car equipped with snow tyres (same as winter tyres) and sometimes even chains.

If you are not used to drive on snow and ice, I would recommend you better take public transport.

pore

Leysin, Switzerland
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Jaunpass is a bus route and there's several villages on it. It will normally be open all year around. If there's exceptional snow one day then it might take a couple of hours to get clear but you should expect to be able to drive over it.

Equally, the drive through Chateau d'Oex, Saanen etc is very scenic.

Porto, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling to gruyere region

thanks for your advices

One more thing not related with that, anyone know any world war II sights, bunkers, etc... ? i think the one i know is in vallorbe.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Here are my top tips of things to do in the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g198820-c138478/Gruye…

There should still be snow in the mountains above the town of Gruyeres at the end of February. A fun thing to do would be to head from Gruyeres to Moleson village and take the funicular and cable car to the top of Moleson mountain - you can enjoy the lovely views from up there. Then take the cable car back down to the mid point and hire a sledge to sledge back down to the bottom. As this is below 2000m, you can't absolutely guarantee that there will be good snow for sledging at any particular time, but there's a pretty good chance.

www.moleson.ch/rubrique/glisse/luge/?lang=en

Another excellent winter activity are the thermal baths in Charmey.

If you would like to try outdoor ice skating, there is a rink accessible by car in about 20 minutes from the town of Gruyeres. Let me know if this interests you.

Porto, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Hi there

Very god tips, i'm already planning to do some sledge, if i can't do in the moleson, where i can do it near by?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Here is a list of the most local dedicated sledge runs:

la-gruyere.ch/en/navpage_list-WinterFR-Sledd…

Most of the local mountains are about the same height as Moleson. Schwarzee tends to have better/longer lasting snow, and is an easy drive along the A12:

www.schwarzsee.ch/en/navpage-WinterFR.html

The highest local option would be Glacier 3000:

gstaad.ch/en/…Glacier3000

If you are fit and the snow is good, a fun would be the sledge run down through the woods from Teysachaux mountain. You snow shoe up (hire snow shoes at the local ski hire shop), have a meal at the buvette and then they give you a sledge to get back to the bottom:

les-paccots.ch/en/navpage-WinterFR-SleddingF…

Here's a video of a family doing this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r5rLYQpVo8

Let me know if you want to know where to park to start the snow shoe trail.

But, honestly, even if the snow isn't great, you can pretty much always find somewhere to sledge. You don't need great snow for sledging, you don't need to sledge on an allocated sledge run (as long as you don't get in people's ways), and most villages have a ski equipment hire shop where you can hire a sledge.

If you want to try ice skating (no lessons necessary), I like the outdoor rink in Les Paccots (an easy drive along the A12):

les-paccots.ch/en/navpage-WinterFR-IceSkatin…

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Snow fall/cover depends on where you are in the Gruyères area in February. This past February there was very little snow in the pre-Alps (the mountains around Gruyères) and none at all on the plain. But as Pore said, it is impossible to say what next February will bring. Ina normal year you should expect to have snow anywhere above 1000m in February. But Gruyères itself, and places like Bulle, should have very little if any snow on the ground.

The Jaun is a very low pass. And is kept open all year. Same for the Col des Mosses and Pillon. These passes only close on the day of a big snowstorm, and mostly not even then. Nonetheless you will need winter equipment (snow tyres and chains) for your car and you should have had some experience in driving in snow. And if by some chance the Jaun IS closed when you want to go to Interlaken you can always drive via Bulle, Bern and Thun on the autoroutes (you pick up the autoroute to Bern at Bulle)

Porto, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling to gruyere region

Hi hambaghle

I've been in bulle in january 30 this year, and that as a little bit of snow in the ground, and much more in the montains (my pic as taken in the moleson).

People tell me that this year as a bad year for snow, dont know if its true, i'm planning to take the jaunpass because i think its the most scenic road to go to interlaken, if the road closes i have to take another.

I only drive one time in the snow, but the car there i will be using, will be equiped with snow tyers (winter tyers i guess).

Thanks for your advice, that should be very usefull.