We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

g p
Brighton, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

I am planning a surprise wedding anniversary present for the wife and have never been to Switzerland! I want a mixture of city, lakes and scenery (cable car and trains etc).

I want to fly out on afternoon 13th January 2012 and return on 16th January, so a long weekend. I want a memorable stay but am flexible to travel from city to city to experience it...

I would like something special to include good accommodation (hotel, chalet etc) and treats for the wife such as thermal spas, chocolate clocks..

A lot to ask for but she has been dreaming about it all her life!

A day by day suggestions would be most helpful including where I should fly into and fly out of.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

To start you off, my favourite thermal baths are Lavey les Bains, which have an attached hotel:

www.lavey-les-bains.ch/

This is not up in the mountains, but has mountain views. Alternatively, you could look at Leukerbad, which has several public thermal spas and some of the hotels have their own. This is a nice mountain village with two cable cars.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

The Upper Engadin might be what you are looking for. There are some really interesting specials (some however starting only January 15). As you dont mention you interests or your budget, have a look at what might appeal you on …stmoritz.ch/winter/en/pauschalenliste/

Many of the specials include spa activities and there are some really good deals there. (Ladies Special Days could be booked for two persons as well, the brand new Nira Alpine offer a 30 % discount, the Bob Taxi -special offered by the traditional Kulm might be an idea, or the Honeymoon special offered by the Carlton, they might offer it for your anniversary as well and it's romantic and classy.

There would be a lot to do for you and you absolutely dont have to ski to enjoy it, e.g. a horse-carriage or sledge excursion, a romantic dinner e.g. at hotel Lej da Staz. Also the new vertial Mineral Spa in Samedan would be a good idea. Or perhaps the tobbogan ride on Muottas Muragl and an overnight in the Igloo village (see http://www.pontresina.ch/en/winter/holiday-info/mountain-railways/regions/muottas-muragl.html?cHash=ede908bdcf361d39fc049436270f39a3)

There would be so much to do here and the train ride from Zurich airport, for the last part making part of the famous Glacier Express line is already worth it. If you want more train trips, do part or even the whole Bernina Express.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

I think the link above does not work anymore, for the Igloo and tobboganing on Muottas Muragl as well as other winter acitivities use this one instead: www.muottasmuragl.ch/en/aktivitaeten/winter/

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,657 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

While I would normally suggest a resort in the French speaking part I do agree with Engadiner that a long weekend in the Upper Engadine valley would tick all the boxes. Not to mention the fact that St Moritz etc is very "glamourous". Your wife will be over the moon.

From a practical point of view it makes sense too - most of the resorts in the French part require a week's booking in winter and I know from my own experience that the hotels in the Engadine are a lot more flexible!

5. Re: 10th Wedding Anniversary in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 10:20