We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Hello,

We will be visiting Switzerland this summer, we cannot decide which valley to choose as a base valley for trips to the Aletch gletcher and Trift bridge (afterwards we will take the Susten pass and go to Fluelen ).

Last year we stayed in Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald and we loved the scenery. This year we want to stay somewhere else but with a view on snowy mountains. Would Meiringer or Hasliberg or Innerkirschen be a good option? If so, which has the best views? We will be going by car from Belgium and probably will get the Swiss pass. Thanks a in in advance!

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
1. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

I have stayed in the Meiringen/Hasliberg region for the last 21 years and love it.

The best views would be actually staying on the Hasliberg but they're pretty good from Meringen just you can't see it all, and it's easy to get the cable car up to Reuti and then higher for some wonderful walking. There's also good walking up the Rosenlaui valley, Englstenalp and all over!

Innertkirchen is much more closed in. There are probably more hotels in Meiringen and if you stayed on the Hasliberg you have to go back to Brunig and then down the pass to Meiringen in your car.

Gibel

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Thanks Gilbel for so quick answer!!! I really appreciate it.

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Gibel,

One more question - what about area on the Grimselpass? Handegg?Oberwald? Ulrichen? Can one see snowy mountain tops from there?

Thanks! :)

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
4. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

<Can one see snowy mountain tops from there?> yes, they are kind of everywhere, on the Grimselpass they are closer.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
5. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Oberalp is the other side of the Grimsel Pass and I can't remember. Handeck you would probably get close to views but the valley is not that wide at that point.

For all round mountain views I think you get the best views from up on the Hasliberg especially if you go up higher on the cable cars.

This is the local webcams

www.bergfex.com/meiringen-hasliberg/webcams/

And will give some idea of what you might see now.

How many mountain tops will be snow covered depends on the time of year and the weather. I was there in July last year the weather was terrible and there was snow on the mountain tops for further down than normal.

Usually it's only on such as the Eiger which will be snow covered in the summer - you can see the Eiger from the top station of the cable cars - Magisalp and Kasestatt and also if you go higher to the top of Alpentower you can see Titlis (snow) as well.

I like the Gletscherblick which has amazing views www.gletscherblick.ch

Gibel

Edited: 15 January 2012, 17:53
Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
6. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Just another thought if you do decide to stay in the Meringen/Hasliberg area you might find the Haslipass good for getting around.

If you have a Swiss Pass and use the Post buses up the Grimsel, Susten, Rosenlaui or to Englstenalp you have to pay an Alpine supplement but these buses are included on the Haslipass I understand.

Gibel

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
17,008 posts
292 reviews
7. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Hi dacitek

If you are coming during summer time I ask myself why you are thinking of buying a Swiss Pass. I think a Regional Pass (Haslipass /sorry, don't find any information about the price, which you can buy at the local tourist office) would make more sence and especialy be cheaper. If you would come by train (or aircraft) from Belgium, a Swiss Pass would most propably make more sence.

Innertkirchen can be very hot in summer. It is close to the big passes Grimsel and Susten (Furka connects the two).

Meiringen is also down in the valley. I like this place but during summertime it is very hot. I think it is a very good idea to go to Hasliberg where I spent often my vacation with my parents when I was a child (long time ago).

Excursions in the Bernese Oberland are nearly unlimited. Look at http://www.haslital.ch/en/page.cfm/Welcome , www.myjungfrau.ch and www.adelboden.ch

Have a great time

pore

Edited: 16 January 2012, 08:10
Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
8. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Sorry it's actually a Haslital Pass

haslital.ch/en/…2663Cached - Similar

The Gletscherblick is on the Hasliberg

Gibel

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! I was thinking of getting a Swiss Pass as we would like go to up to Schilthorn and spend two days on lake Lucerne taking the boats and going up to Mount Rigi, but I still have to do calculations if its worth it :)

I hope it will be warm this summer as last time all we got was rain and snow in July :)

10. Re: Lovely valley similar to Grindelwald - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 10:17