We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
40 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

I will be travelling to Switzerland in a day, and it seems like the weather will be very very very cold this weekend! I do have thermal underwear and big coat and sweaters and boots to wear, but the problem is that if I have to pack all these winter clothes, I won't have much room for nice dining attire! How dressed up do you have to be in Switzerland to go to mid-range bistros / cafe type of places for dinner? In particular the cities (Geneva / Montreux / Bern)? I won't look very good in slip-proof boots and bulky jackets! Of course we will try to avoid 3 star type of places for dinner. I think I will freeze in my heels anyway in -10C weather!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Just go casual. Coming from Britain where there is a lot of etiquette about dining out one of the first things that struck me was how casual and relaxed eating out is.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Geneva is a little fancier, but if it's cold and you're not doing 5* dining, just wear what feels warmest and most comfortable.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Ha, dining is not a beauty competition. Just come like you feel comfortable and enjoy as long as you are not too flippy dressed.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,691 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Only in the very top restaurants will you be expected to dress well. Otherwise clean, tidy clothes and in mid range restaurants in the evenings even clean jeans seem to be OK!!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

"Bistro" to me means you can easily wear jeans and a jumper, with boots or shoes as you prefer. Most people will have a very warm coat for outdoors and regular clothes for indoors as the restaurant will be nicely heated. No need for thermals if you will be going from hotel to taxi/bus to restaurant - maybe need them if you will walk around the city all day.

Wear big boots and coat onto the plane to save packing space. Then put them in the overhead compartment.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

We don't even pack dining attire. Warm, comfy is fine and if they are lucky I will change out of my skiboots first lol

All relaxed, no stress, wear what you like and enjoy the experience

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,691 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

yes but -- you don't live here! Tourists can get away with a lot. In the resorts it is more casual. But as I said in a previous post, in the entire country it is not exactly formal, especially in winter when it iis cold... depends on the level of the restaurant. Top restaurants - you should dress correctly. Pizzerias, bistrots, brasseries, cafés - wear what you like!!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Very true Hambagahle, although given half a chance I would jump at the opportunity to NOT be a tourist and live in your wonderful country :-)

Although we live in England, both my girlfriend and I feel like we are coming home when we get to Lauterbrunnen.

:-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,691 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

Welcome home, then!!

10. Re: Dining attire in Switzerland in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:34