We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

We're about to purchase our Swiss Pass for our June vacation. We're in the USA and I know there are several places I can purchase it, but are there advantages of buying one place over another?

I'm not buying from Raileurope! But I know I can buy from the Swiss Travel Site or the Rick Steves website (and others) for the same price, does it matter which?

The reason I ask is that there is a lot of confusing information out there on how to 'validate' the swiss pass. Some people say you can just write the date in yourself others say you have to find a train official. In some of these posts they indicate that WHERE you bought the pass has a bearing on this.

For convenience sake I would rather the date in myself as we will be entering Switzerland from Italy.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

Hi, first, check what it will cost to buy when you arrive in Switzerland and see what the exchange rate is and determine if it is cheaper to buy in the US before you go when you add up all the fees, etc. Don't forget to add any fee you might pay for a foreign exchange transaction on your credit or debit card if you plan to pay using one of those.

Next, get the passes from the least expensive place! It's that simple. Some have mailing fees, etc. As long as it is a reputable website like Rick Steves or gemut.com or some of the others, you're fine. Instructions for validation will come with the pass so don't worry about that. Just be sure you have filled in the pass with the information required before you get on the train - the important part is having the date properly filled out so it refelcts the day o which you are traveling if it is your first day of travel - it's the only way the train staff know if the pass is still valid later on.

Hope this helps

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

Rick Steves is 'powered by RailEurope'!

See top right hand corner :- …raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pa…

If you are coming from Italy on the train then the pass can be validated train by the conductor.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 09:13
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

It would be great to buy the pass in Switzerland, but as I mentioned we'll be coming in from Italy and I don't want to have to hop off the train and buy a pass when we cross the border. I don't think that would even be possible and stay on the same train. But I take your point about shopping around.

How would having the conductor validate the ticket work? Would the Italian conductor do it before we crossed over to Switzerland?

Thank.s

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

>How would having the conductor validate the ticket work?

It would be done by the Swiss conductor. It is standard procedure. See Question 16 at:-

www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/content/faq/

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

I think they are all "RailEurope" here in the US but they have their own contract with RE so do their own postage fees etc. I haven't found a site that doesn't buy the pass from RE and then resells it.

6. Re: Advantages to where you buy the Swiss Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:16