We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with kids to geneva

jerusalem
4 posts
Save Topic
traveling with kids to geneva

I am looking into traveling with my husband and 3 children (ages 10, 6,3) to Geneva and its surrounding countryside. we would ideally like to rent a simple place and be close enough to areas to swim and take nature walks. we're planning to travel mid August. Any suggestions for areas to stay and things to do for kids?

Thanks!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

Hi tamara k,

I would head to the town of Vevey. In August, I think Montreux will be elbow-to-elbow people, and the crowding isn't pleasant to me. Vevey will also be crowded, but the feel of the town is more residential and less harried.

From/in Vevey, you can swim in the lake at a few spots. There are regular beaches in Villeneuve, at Chillon castle, and at Clarens. I'm sure there are some in Vevey, but I just don't know it as well. You can also walk along the very pretty Lavaux vineyard trails, or take the train on the Golden Pass route to see the medieval town of Grueyres or to see Gstaad for an afternoon. You can also visit Morges, with its lakeside park, pretty little cobbled pedestrian street, and castle, or go to Yvoire (France) to see all the flowers. And don't miss seeing the castle of Chillon. You can rent bikes at the train station and take a ride on one of the many trails outside of town.

Most holiday apartment rent for a full week, from Saturday to Saturday. You can see what's available at:

montreux-vevey.com/en/…Holiday_apartment

Have fun as you plan!

s

Edited: 20 March 2012, 05:37
jerusalem
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

thanks swandav! i will definitely check it out and see what we can find. the description sounds great!

tamara

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

There is a big open air pool in Vevey with a baby pool and lake access. If you do choose Vevey, I can tell you about loads of family friendly things to do in the area and up in the local mountains.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 12:07
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

You may also want to consider staying up in the local mountains. There's cheaper accommodation and lots of nature walks and streams to coil off in. I stay in Les Paccots which has plenty for nature loving families to do.

jerusalem
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

thank you! any suggestions for particular place to say there?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

I stay in family accommodation, but I have always thought Au Petit Gite looks cute:

www.les-paccots.ch/en/list.cfm…

It's for four people, but you could find out if they'd take 5 given one of your children is only little. It's very handy for a bus stop (Les Rosalys, place).

7. Re: traveling with kids to geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:21