We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne vs Engelberg

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Lucerne vs Engelberg

Hi Everyone

I am looking for advice as to which place would be better in terms of natural beauty between Lucerne and Engelberg. I would choose that as a stay option and travel to the other. I will be staying for 2 days in either of these.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,209 Reviews
from US$161.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,026 Reviews
from US$170.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
355 Reviews
from US$245.60*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
660 Reviews
from US$106.20*
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne vs Engelberg

My first thought was Lucerne over Engelberg, because you have more choice of excursions in Lucerne. Staying in Engelberg means that wherever you want go apart from Mount Titlis you have to take the train a 45 min trip down the valley towards Lucerne. However for just two days I say Engelberg I think there is enough in and around the village to keep you busy. There is the Brunni cable car on the opposite side of the valley to Titlis, it's not as high but there are some good walks at the top and the there is the monastery in the village also worth a visit. In Lucerne well you could stay a month and not see everything.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne vs Engelberg

Essentially it's a town versus country decision - as you suggest yourself, the two places are easily accessible from each other so travel times are not really a deciding factor.

Both places have views, both have plenty of sights to see. If you want restaurants, nightlife and shopping, Lucerne is better. If you want peace and quiet and like walking in the countryside, Engelberg is better.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne vs Engelberg

Hi cyberviveks30

Will you be there for two nights or for two full days? That's making a difference. But anyway lf it's two full days it depends what you would like to do from your base:

It sits at the end of a high valley on the food of Mt. Tiltis and Brunni. If Engelberg itself and these excursions are your program stay at Engelberg. From here you could also easily visit Stans and Stanserhorn - www.stanserhorn.ch - up from June.

If you only would like to visit Mt. Titlis and Engelberg on one day plus an other mountain around Lucerne the other day, I would choose Lucerne or one of the surrounding places (Meggen, Kastanienbaum etc) as my base.

If you have two full days and want a glacier experience I wouild stay at Lucerne, do Mt. Titlis one day and a Mt. Rigi roundtrip - www.rigi.ch and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) - which includes a beautiful cruise on lake Lucerne.

I hope this helps

4. Re: Lucerne vs Engelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:25