We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

Hi,

Me + wife will arrive in Geneva on 05th May and depart on 13th May from Zurich, i.e. total of 9 days stay

We will go from Geneva airport to Montreux and stay for 3 nights, then from Montreux to Lucerne for 5 nights and then on last day travel from Lucerne to zurich airport

Now, since the 2 for 1 pass offer is only valid for 4 days, I am planning to buy 1 Swiss pass and 1 Swiss flexi pass, but that will only cover 8 days, Are all scenic trains covered by Swiss pass, I understand that mountain cars offer 50% discount for those passes

I read that on Geneva airport, there is a FREE ticket worth of 90 minutes travel available, does anyone know is it available recently too + will it cover my train travel from Geneva airport to Montruex

If yes, then I can straight go for 2 Swiss Pass (2 for 1), saving some money

Any other ideas are welcome - like can I do some local tourisms within the above regions, without travelling by train

Please let me know

Thanks in advance

KY

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

Not sure why you think you need two passes unless you intend to make long distance journeys every day.

The p2p tickets for the journeys listed will cost 127/130 CHF depending on whether you travel from Montreux to Lucerne via Bern or take the Golden Pass route.

The 4 day 2 for1 Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is valid for 1 month and will cost 131 CHF. If you then use it for these three journeys you will have one extra day when, for example, you could make a round trip of Mt Rigi, which is the only mountain fully covered by the pass. With other mountains you will get a 50% discount, with the exception of Jungfraujoch, where the discount above Wengen/Grindelwald is only 25%.

On the other days the flexi pass gives a 50% discount on both mainline and mountain transport.

The Geneva Airport ticket does not cover as far as Montreux.

In Montreux participating hotels will give you a Riviera Card which provides both free and reduced cost local transport.

montreuxriviera.com/en/page.cfm/Riviera_Card…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

Thanks Swissaholic for the reply

I am not planning for Jungfraujoch this time. If I get it correct, you are suggesting me buying 1 Swiss Flexi pass - 4 days - 2 for 1 - 181 GBP - (http://www.swissrailways.com/userdata.php) and use it for

1. From Geneva Airport - Montruex

2. Montreux - Luzern

3. Luzerne - Mt Rigi

4. Luzern - Zurich airport

Am I correct so far

Sorry, forgot to mention, we are also planning to visit Mt Titlis and Pilatus, hence I was thinking of 2 passes, what do you think, any alternatives

Also, with flexi pass, can I travel museums, etc which comes free of cost anytime in a month once activated, because mostly I'll be travelling for most of the time using the pass, any ideas?

Since I am staying at B&B in Montreux, I am not sure about Riviera Card, need to check with them, or is it like a compulsary thing in Montreux

Thanks in advance

KY

Edited: 12 April 2012, 16:55
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

>Am I correct so far

Yes.

>we are also planning to visit Mt Titlis and Pilatus, hence I was thinking of 2 passes, what do you think, any alternatives

You only get a 50% reduction with mountain transport whether you have a Swiss Pass or use the Flexi Pass as a Half Fare Card on a non validated day.

>can I travel museums

The Flexi Pass only covers museums on a validated days. The Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne is recommended but this only gives a 50% reduction with the Swiss Pass.

>Since I am staying at B&B in Montreux, I am not sure about Riviera Card

Yes check with your accommodation.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

Thanks Swissaholic, just got reply from my accommodation that I will be getting Riviera card, so good news. Also means that I can get away with 1 Swiss Flexi pass - thanks a lot for that input - was really helpful - just to double check, can we get the flexi pass once we are in Swiss?

Also, does the Riviera card cover any goldenpass trains except Rochers-de-Naye ?

Can you please also assist me in the iternary, since we are only 2 full days in Montreux

1. We would arrive in Montreux around 6 p.m, can we use the remaining time to explore, like old town, etc

2. Next day, we are planning to visit Chillon Castle + Rochers-de-Naye. Is it too much for a day or less, plz advise

3. Last day, we are planning to take the scenic Goldenpass trains to any one destination and back in Montreux

Then leave from Montreux by express train to Lucerne for 5 nights

Thanks in advance

KY

Boulder, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

quick question about regional pass travel:

will a regional pass Lake Geneva>Alps take me to/from Zurich to Gruyere, and then to Ballenberg?

Thanks~

Edited: 29 May 2013, 20:07
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

>will a regional pass Lake Geneva>Alps take me to/from Zurich to Gruyere, and then to Ballenberg?

No. See:- www.goldenpass.ch/regionalpass_package

7. Re: 2 for 1 Swiss pass / flexi pass Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:16