We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

Hi

My son aged 19 is interested in having a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland. I suggested youth hostelling. Could anyone recommend a good base location with a youth hostel. He would prefer a small cit atmosphere, with places to run close by. He would need to be able to get there by public transport from a major airport such as Geneva.

Many thanks

Jim

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,197 reviews
from US$161.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
352 reviews
from US$250.30*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.20*
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

for timetables of public transport go to www.sbb.ch/en put for example Zurich airport to Interlaken

I assume he is planing to go somwhere between June and September.

Maybe he would like Interlaken. It's not the most interesting town, but it is very well located with good many hostels and a nice atmosphere for young people. It's possible to run along the lakes or up the mountains around. Options for daytrips are endless from famous mountain tops to well organized canyoning trips. www.interlaken.ch

Zug is a small not very touristy city close to Lucerne and Zurich and all it's attractions. I guess best area for running is the Zugerberg a mountain/hill with many trails/small roads and great view, it can be reached by a funiculair from Zug. http://www.zug-tourismus.ch there is one hostel http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/zug

for running higher up on mountains he might look at Davos, a big ski resort with a lot do as well in summer and the Swiss cross-country skiing team is based here all year around. www.davos.ch

and even higher up the Engadin Valley with hostels in the two biggest towns Pontresina and St. Moritz. A very beautiful area like at the other places it's easy to get around. Transfer from the airports (best is Zurich) takes a bit longer.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

What time of year would this be? Is he a serious runner? If yes, what sort? I'm not a runner but others might be able to suggest a club or organisation he could email to informally train with.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

The upper Engadin www.engadin.stmorit.ch area is a runners paradise and is well known for running exercise programs in the line of high altitude sports which will enhance his red blood cells count. There are regular training camps and many athletes are here to allenate before big events. …stmoritz.ch/sommer/…

Ryffel-running ( http://ryffel.ch/ ), founded by Markus Ryffel, a Swiss long-distance runner who won the silver medal at the 1984 Olympic 5000 metres final in Los Angeles, as far as I know is the leading company organizing specialized programs if then he would like to choose one of them.

Otherwise, there are a lot of paths in the Engadin St. Moritz area he could do by himself and perhaps meet other athletes doing so. Running is rather popular here.

As for accomodation, you find a list on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch - dont concentrate just on St. Moritz or Pontresina, there are inexpensive options in other villages as well and often athletes prefer those. For stays of two or more nights, check the Mountain cablecars included special …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ so he could visit the surrounding mountains and valleys on a relax day.

4. Re: Best Location for a running / hiking holiday in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:43