We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Bonjour

I'm planning a short stay with my parents in Switzerland near Jung-frau region. For that I've planned the following travel:

1. Domodossola to Grindelwald (Coming from Milan, Italy - First day)

2. Grindelwald to Jung-Frau peak and same evening return (Second day)

3. Grindelwald to interlaken, boating in Lake (Third day)

4. Interlaken to Basel (Third day evening)

What would you suggest me the best and cheapest ticket/pass for this fixed itinerary?

Thanks in Advance.

Parag

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Sorry you really will have to do the maths yourself. Please remember that the Jungfrau trip is weather dependent, check the weather forecast before you go.

Even in Grindelwald the weather could be different to the summit.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

I guess in your case the Half Fare Card is the most economical option, but as mentioned you have to do math to know for sure. Alternatives are the Swiss Pass and the Swiss Flexi Pass.

About your itinerary. Do I understand it right that you plan to stay overnight in Interlaken and Grindelwald? If yes, they are not very far apart so I wouldn't change the base.

Day 3 is not a full day trip. You could for example add the Niederhorn and/or the Beatus caves. Keep the program flexible, the best day is for the Jungfraujoch.

Tell us if you like some more suggestion of what to do on day 3 and 4. We just need to know a bit about your interests.

Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Thanks a lot Mube and Swisslover for the guidance. It helped me a lot, I did maths by myself and the result came that most economical options are Swiss half-fare and Jungfrau Centenary Pass.

Again thanks!! :)

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Hi MParag

If you are still following the above itinerary I am not sure how you came to this conclusion.

The Half Fare Card and Jungfrau Centenery Pass will together cost 280 CHF. With the additional half fares from Domodossola to Interlaken Ost and Interlaken Ost to Basel this gives a total of around 334 CHF.

The p2p tickets will cost around 300 CHF. So half of this plus the cost of the HFC at 110 CHF works out at around 260 CHF.

Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

I haven't explained it better in the last post. Sorry.

What I've analysed is I can opt for one of the two options, either by Half Fare Card or Jungfrau Centenery Pass. If I include the fare for "Top of Europe - JungFraujoch" which is alone CHF 190 (pp return) then my total travel cost of 3 persons will be:

using Half Fare Card: CHF 1062

using Jungfrau Centenery Pass: CHF 961

In the end the difference is not much but it counts!

This is my own calculations. Please suggest me if I'm wrong somewhere. Additional information are most welcome.

Thanks swissaholic.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

Hi again MParag

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you intended to buy both passes!

7. Re: Domo.-Grindelwald-JungFrau(return)-Interlaken-boating-Basel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:16