We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Card question

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Card question

I am planning to purchase a Swiss Card. I will be traveling from Beaune, France to the Berner Oberland. I would like to purchase my ticket for Beaune to Basel now, before the TGV prices increase. Am I right to do that, and then when we get off at the border town of Basel to switch trains, get the next ticket to the final destination using the Swiss Card? Or would I even need to get a ticket, is the Card enough (in this case the trip will be covered by the Card)? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,231 Reviews
from US$160.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,041 Reviews
from US$166.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$255.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$255.40*
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Card question

Yes, from Basel to the first destination in Switzerland is covered by the Swiss Card - just be sure to complete any information you need to fill in on the card. Is there a reason you are getting a Swiss Card instead of the half fare card? It's quite a bit more expensive and you don't benefit much if you are going to the Berner Oberland. If you like, share the rest of your itinerary in Switzerland and we can help you choose

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Card question

Kileysmom So I would just write the info on the Swiss Card, and not need to get a ticket for that leg? I calculated all the different costs and the Swiss Card and Half Fare Card came out about the same. We are traveling with a child age 7, so if I purchase the Swiss Card from home I can get the free Family Card with it; in Switzerland it sounds like the Family Card costs 30CHF. And can one even get the Family Card with the Half Fare Card?

Our plan:

D1 France to Muerren

D2 To Schilthorn (weather permitting)

D3 To Junfraujoch (weather permitting, or maybe not at all)

D4 Wengen or may not use transportation at all this day

D5 To Zurich airport

We may not do both Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, just put them in there. And we will likely use the lower lifts a few times that are not listed, ie Muerren to Gimmelwald or Lauterbrunnen. For the trips above I calculated an estimated cost of (totals do NOT include Lauterbrunnen to Muerren costs, as sbb.ch would not give me that leg):

Swiss Card 652CHF

Swiss Pass 934

Swiss Transfer 861

Half Fare 671 (includes 30CHF for Family Card, but can you do this?)

Full Fare 1054

We went to Switzerland in 2002 during historic rains. I think we may have had the Swiss Card, totally did not get our money's worth that time!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Card question

Hi, as long as you plan to use the card as much as you do, it probably works out best. there's always the balancing act - we all go through it.

Have a great trip!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Card question

Forget about including mountain transport in your calculations as both the Swiss Card and 1 month Half Fare Card give a 50% discount with this so the costs are the same whichever of these passes you choose. You can also get as free Family Card with the HFC so would not have to pay an extra 30 CHF for a Junior Card.

Swiss Card 186 CHF. Covers both direct transfers to and from one destination and acts as a HFC on days between transfers.

HFC 110 + half fare Basel - Mürren and Mürren - Zurich Airport (via Bern) 80.10 CHF - Total 190.10 CHF.

HFC 110 + half fare Basel - Mürren and Mürren - Zurich Airport (via Lucerne - 1 hour longer) 71.60 CHF - Total 181.60 CHF.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Card question

<includes 30CHF for Family Card, but can you do this?> The family card is free with the on month Half Fare Card. For locals (who often have the one year hfc) or those without a transport card there is the Junior card that costs 30 CHF per child.

Edit: didn't see that swissaholic has already answerd your question.

Edited: 13 May 2012, 08:23
Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Card question

Thank you, everyone!

Swissaholic, thanks for the breakdown. Thanks for clearing up the Junior Card vs the Family Card.

So technically the cheapest by 5 CHF would be the Half Fare Card with free Family Card, going through Lucerne to Zurich. Is that part of the Golden Pass, only on a regular train? We went to Lucerne last time, there was little visibility, but I do remember a gorgeous lake with vibrant color.

I looked in my old scrap book and we did have the Swiss Card, it was $110 in 2002. It's not my imagination then, the cost of travel really has almost doubled since then. I smiled when I saw the European handwriting on it. :)

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Card question

Also, in your opinion, is the extra hour through Lucerne worth it? The Bern-Zurich stretch has a Family Coach with play area on board, what is that like? Do you need reservations for that?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Card question

The line from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne uses normal trains and is not true 'Golden Pass'. This route is more scenic than via Bern but only you can decide which is best for you.

The Family Coaches are only on IC (InterCity) double-decker trains and do not require a reservation.

sbb.ch/en/…family-coach.html

9. Re: Swiss Card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:40