We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne alternates!!

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne alternates!!

I've been trying to find accommodation in Lucerne for my family of four for a week in July but seems like there aren't that many options there. Most of the hotels are already booked, there aren't many B&B or apartments either. Those that are available charging fortunes just to cramp us in a room full be beds! Or want us to change our schedule to match there!

Considering all this, I'm thinking to drop Lucerne. The plan was to spend a week there after Wengen but need to look into alternates.

I’m looking for suggestions for Lucerne alternate if there are any good places to spend a week after Wengen with lots to see?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Have you contacted the tourist office in Lucerne?

Should you decide on alternative base, Vevey on Lake Geneva is very nice. Lots to do in the area.

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Not aware of the tourist office in Lucerne - do you know the site?

I'll check Vevey meanwhile.

Thanks

Sharjah, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Asif: check weggis, rigi, vitznau which are on lake lucerne.

try the website www.cleartrip.ae , you will always find something good and available on that site.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

The site of the tourist office of Lucerne is www.luzern.com (There are all Lucerne accomodations listed and you can book directly).

If you do not find what you are looking for you could look at www.brunnentourismus.ch (also on lake Lucerne) or www.zugtourismus.ch (nearby).

pore

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Hi AsifRN,

I agree with devesh84 and pore above -- I would find another spot right on Lake Lucerne for the holiday, either Weggis, Vitznau, Brunnen, or Kussnach (sorry, I've never been to Kussnach so can't verify if it's a cosy spot or not). I spent four days in Weggis one year and liked it a lot -- you get there from Luzern by bus or by ferry boat. It might take a bit longer to get there, but you do have enough time in your itinerary so that it won't be a problem, I think.

From Weggis, I was really mesmerized by the views from my hotel window -- the mountains spilling directly into the lake. More information:

www.weggis.ch

www.vitznau.ch

Though I love Lake Geneva and Vevey in particular, I don't think they would be a good substitute for Lake Lucerne because they are French in atmosphere, architecture, cuisine, etc. Also, I really hate Lake Geneve in summertime because it's so hot and it's elbow-to-elbow folks along the lakeside promenade. And you should also know that the internationally famous Montreux Music Fest takes place up through the middle of July, and that can make the crowds really unbearable.

Anyway, have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Luzern is also chockablock full of people (from all over the world!) in the summer AND also has a festival. (Not a bad one, though Verbier's is better!¨) Whether it is hot or not depends on the weather we have - and who knows what that will be? Today for example was close to 30C. Tomorrow more like 16C and Monday maybe lower... there is no "weather pattern" in the summer or at any time really here...

The easiest thing to do if you want accomodation in or around Luzern is to use the search engine on the Luzern tourist office website.

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

@devesh84, @pore, @swandav AND @Hambagahle thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm in a much better position to decide now. I most probably look for another place on the Lake Lucerne such as Weggis or else. Really appreciate.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Hi again,

I hope you find a great place right there on the lake!

BTW, the Luzern summer music fest is in August, so you'll be missing the crowds associated with that!

Oh, and another btw -- my dad worked for Aramco, and I grew up in your country! I miss that soft Arab evening air!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

Weggis is lovely!!

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lucerne alternates!!

That's very interesting to know swandav :)

I'm hopeful that I'll finalize something today/tomorrow in Lucerne or in the surrounding area.