We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Hi

I'm after some advice on whether to spend two nights in Lausanne or Bern in September. I will arrive late on a Saturday afternoon and leave on the Monday morning so will only have the Sunday to have a look around. I'm mindful that there might not be much open on a Sunday.

I am really just wanting to make sure that there will be a few restaurants open and that there is nice walks to do through the city or a museum open.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Where are you coming from and where are you then off to?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

I'm coming from Milan then heading on to Dijon by train. It looks like there are direct trains from Milan to both Lausanne and Bern.

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

There is an iPod walking tour of Bern available at the tourist office in the train station that is absolutely tremendous and well worth doing. I have done this twice, and absolutely loved it. Both times were on a Sunday just FYI!! I am sure Lausanne would be great as well, but I must say I really loved Bern and the iPod tour is outstanding. Have a great trip!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Bern is beautiful with lots to do, but I am a bit fan of the lake. I prefer Montreux over Lausanne - there are some direct trains there. Montreux is easier to get around, and is in (in my opinion), the most beautiful part of the lake. You would need to go to Lausanne to catch the train onwards to Dijon, as far as I know. However, this is an easy journey.

Take a look at some information on Bern and Montreux to see which you fancy more:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/bern.html

Bern is great for museums, shopping, strolling, eating and accessing the big mountains of the Bernese Oberland for a day trip.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/montreux.html

Montreux is great for sightseeing, relaxing, vineyards, swimming, castles (Chillon and Gruyeres) and accessing the local mountains for half day or day trips.

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

I would definitely concur on montreux....it's gorgeous. You could visit Chillon ( they also offer an amazing iPod tour, FYI!) stroll the flower promenade, take a lake cruise, perhaps go up to Rocher des Naye or walk the vineyards.....a myriad of possibilities. We will return here in September and stay at the Eden Palace Au Lac which is about a 10 minute walk from the station. Lake facing rooms with balcony at a decent price! Great promenade side cafe for people watching! Bern is a lovely city to visit and do the walking tour but I, too, love montreux and the lake. We have yet to visit Lausanne but I sure agree re Montreux!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Thank you for the tips! Sounds like two great options. If only all choices in life were between two such great places!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Let us know how you get on whichever you choose.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

Of the two, Bern is ehaps easier to navigate around. Lausanne, for the first time (or second for that matter) is complicated. It is on a steepish slope from lake to about 900m and is bi-sected by the ravine of a river (now underground). So from a map it is hard to tell what level you will be on. bern on the other hand is - well the old town at least! - a compact pensinsula jutting out into the Aar river. for a walking tour see this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

There are a lot of restaurants and cafés open in Bern on Sundays. The Klee museum and the main art museum (Kunstmuseum) downtown are also open. And if the weather is good you can swin (or rather float downstream!) in the fast flowing Aar.

Of the two I would choose Bern. BUT if you choose Lausanne, then spend the day in the Montreux area. Take a boat from Ouchy (port of Lausanne) to Montreux. Go up the Rochers de Naye, visit Chillon and return on the local train which runs along the lake, like the express train does, but a little more slowly so you can enjoy the view. And if you wish to stop at a pretty village en route back, then stop in St Saphorin, Cully or Lutry.

9. Re: Lausanne or Bern for a Sunday visit in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:16