We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

5 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

Hello every one, pleace  help me to know the best way to go to lugano from zurich airport, is it train? Any changes in train? I

Mean is the train is DIRECT to lugano? Note that am going with three kids! Or by car? 

Your recomendations are very important to me 

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

The best way to get from Zurich Airport to Lugano is by train. The journey takes around 3 hours and involves at least one change at Zurich HB station. Some trains also require a change at Arth-Goldau.

You can get times and fares at:- www.sbb.ch/en/home.html.

If you require more information on Lugano please open a new post under the Lugano forum.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,475 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

And note that children under 6 travel free. When you buy your ticket ask for a Family card. Then your children 6-16 will travel free as long as they are with you.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

You have to buy a Swiss Transport System pass to get a free Swiss Family Card. If you are just buying p2p tickets then a Junior Card at 30 CHF may be more economical than paying half-fare.

sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses…

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

Thanks for your replay :) but am still afraid from the stops and the traim chang while am having loggadge and three kids! Dont u think that the car will be more comfortable and take less time?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

Although I have never driven in Switzerland I would no hesitate to recommend taking the train. There are several direct trains an hour between Zurich Airport and Zurich HB. If you then take one of the direct trains from Zurich HB to Lugano you will only have to make one change. I am sure you will all enjoy the journey which is both scenic, comfortable and relaxing, particularly for the person who would have been driving the car.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

We have done this trip by car many times. It is very do-able, but depending on time of year, you could get into a traffic jam at the Gotthard Tunnel/Pass. There are MANY rest stops with gasoline, food, restrooms, snacks, etc along the route. It is a very nice drive. But with children, you will be busy trying to keep them settled while driving... maybe not such a good idea? Have you driven in Europe before?

canada
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

When are you traveling? Right now this train route is interrupted by landslide and a bus is being used to complete the journey. Maybe you should look at flying onto Lugano airport, as an extension to your ticket.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

We have done this route many times by car and train. Where is your ultimate destination in Lugano? The station is in a raised position above the city, with luggage and 3 young kids you would probably be better getting a taxi from the station if you arrive by train. However if you drive I have to say Lugano can be difficult if you are not familiar with the city. Also if you decide to drive the route south is very very busy with tourists heading to the lakes and North Italy, I would recommend going the San bernardino route instead of San gotthard. Ultimately I would probably choose train in your situation..........as long as it is after the disruption has cleared as a result of the landslide. (after July 3rd)

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

Okkk now i understood, because although every body recomend train and said its three hours far when i chicked the rout it was confused for me! I will be there next wednesday 27 jun so it will still be there, and thanks for the advise not to drive if we are not familiar because we are not! I still cant decide, u know i will be coming from looong journy from dubai to zurich then i have to go to lugano with those three kids! Is four hour journy from zurich to lugano with changes to buses in the middle is good idea? Or car again?!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,475 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to lugano from zurich (family with small chi

Driving after a long flight on roads you do not know (or even those you do!) is not the best idea in the world.

The Gottard line is supposed to be re-opened 2 July. so I am afraid the through train won't work for you. BUT the replacement bus connection is really quite do-able. When you leave the train at Flüelen tehre will be people there to show you where to get the bus. And then the bus will bring you to the connecting train at Göschinen. It does add time to your journey, but only an hour And the busses have holds for luggage. The same ticket Zürich Airport to Lugano covers the bus so no need to buy another one.

For children "positive psychology" is always a good thing -- tell them what an adventure they are about to have on the bus!! But really it is better to go this way, even if the change seems like a hassle, than to drive.