We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

London, United...
8 posts
Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how much does a Swiss Clock and Cow bell costs. I am not looking for very fancy one, but something to get as souvenir. Also suggest me a place where i buy them, i will be staying in Geneva,Bern, & Zurich day each..

regards

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,732 posts
9 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Hi, a Swiss clock will cost anywhere from a few pounds to many thousands of pounds. Cowbells are also a wide range of prices. Most souvenir shops have a range from which you can choose for both appearance and price. If you want a finer clock, you will need to go to a specialized clock shop or a jeweler's shop most likely.

Edited: 11 years ago
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,424 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
2. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

There is a swiss souvenir shop in Geneva, on the rue des Alpes which is right off the quai du Mt Blanc and not far from the station. They sell both clocks (and cuckoo clocks!) and cow bells. The latter are made for the tourist trade and have never been near a cow!

If you want a real cow bell, that has actually been used by a cow the best place to find one is either in an antiques shop OR at one of the many open air markets in Switzerland. There is one every Thursday here in Martigny and there is a person who sells used cow bells. These, by the way, vary in design and in tone from region to region. Smaller bells are for calves. Large bells for large cows. And the very tiny bells are for goats!

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
38 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Cuckoo clocks are not swiss; not at all. They derive from the Black Forrest (Germany), are mostly produced somewhere in China and sold to tourists in Swiss Francs. :-)

I'd rather choose a army knife, Kirsch Schnaps, or something that has been produced here.

Edited: 11 years ago
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,424 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
4. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Naturally, maetzli! they aren't swiss at all. Which is why I put my remark into parentheses!! I personally cannot stand them. who wants to have something shouting "coucou" at you all the time!! But that shop on the rue des Alpes does sell them, and some quite expensive I think.

Have you tried Abricotine from the Valais (from right here in Martigny actually?) If not I will bring you some next time I come to BS!! I like it better than Kirsch. More taste...

Pune, India
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Hi Hambagahle,

No bells for bulls? The male of the species has always been a neglected lot.

Here is a fun article on cow bells -

http://novascotiamiss.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Swiss-cows-wear-bells

arvind

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
38 reviews
39 helpful votes
6. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

arvind

The bulls are responsible for producing little cows and wee laddie bulls.. It might be hampering for a bull making love with a 15 pound bell around the neck! Try :-)

I adore cowbell ringing at all time, when I spend some time away from the city. It makes you feel cozy in bed. It is good for the nerves.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Hi MAETZLI,

Nice one,that.

arvind

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,424 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
8. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Good one Maetzli! Except youa re wrong, which is bad news for the bulls!! Here in the Valais the bulls get the chop at under a year (veal I suppose!!) and only the lady cows are kept. Apparently bulls are now superfluous for producing new calves as everything is done - err! - artificially!!

Sad to be a bull calf in the Valais! And I suppose in the rest of the country. But good news for our Zürich friends who need the veal!

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
38 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

Hamby!

There are bulls that are transported from one farm to the other as professional lovers, although it is clorrect, that most cows are artificially pregnant.

Not only the Zurich Geschnetzeltes Fans. Also for a decent "Wienerschnitzel" the law requires 100 % veal. Yummy!

10. Re: Swiss Clocks & Cow bells

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.