We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland

We are taking an 8 day coach tour of Switzerland in June 2013. Does anyone know of any good Christmas stores or where we can purchase Christmas ornament? The only store we found was in Basel, however, we are only there for a couple of hours on a Sunday, and the stores are closed. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland

Hi, are you obligated to this coach tour? it is so easy to travel independently in Switzerland and you could be in Basel when the shop is open - it is a great Christmas shop!! If you want to consider doing an independet trip, we are all here to help you and make it easy as we can!

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland

We already booked the tour. We are doing a river cruise first from Amsterdam to Basel, then we will be taken to Zurich that same day. Thought about doing it on our own, but travelling with another couple who wanted the coach tour.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Basel
Basel
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland

Could you stay in Basel overnight and catch up the next day? Basel is well worth a day and the shop is certainly worth it! As long as you know the stopping place for Monday evening, it should be a snap to catch a train from Basel to join the tour.

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland

We already booked the tour. We are doing a river cruise first from Amsterdam to Basel, then we will be taken to Zurich that same day. Thought about doing it on our own, but travelling with another couple who wanted the coach tour.

No, out coach tour starts that Sunday. So I gather that there isn't more Christmas Stores that this is the only one?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Basel
Basel
Zurich
Zurich
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland

Mostly only shops in train stations are allowed to open on Sundays, but I don't think one of them has anything for Christmas in June. If you have some time on an other day in Zurich or an other big city, you might checkout for an option there.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,493 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland

I can't say I know of any "Christmas stores" here in Switzerland. However if little decorations are what you want, and especially ones from here I suggest you take a look at the Heimatwerk shops. there is one in the Zürich train station that is open on Sundays...

Personally I cannot imagine why anyone would want to take a coach tour of Switzerland... but I suppose if you have to you have to!!

Mentioned in this post
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switzerland

Thanks for the information and opinion. When travelling with seniors, one does what one can and this isn't my bucket list.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switzerland

Not specifically Christmassy, but you can easily buy little souvenir cow bells that might look nice on a tree. You may also find little wooden items or small wooden chalets that can be integrated into a festive scene.

In general I have observed that Swiss Christmas decorations are simple and classy, and generally only available to buy in the run up to Christmas.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switzerland

I'm trying to get my head round the idea of buying things for Christmas in June, and failing completely ;-)

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Switzerland

If your tour goes to Brienz, I have seen wood Christmas tree decorations in the wood carving shops there all the year round.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 19:10
Mentioned in this post
Brienz
Brienz
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland