We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Points of interest/visit for us are:

1. Aletsch glacier - Eggishorn

2. Bex salt mines

3. St. Leonard underground lake

4. Labyrinth adventure (kids)

5. Lavaux wine terraces

6. maybe Burgerbad (Leukerbad)

7. maybe Chateau Chillon

8. maybe St. Bernard dog museum

Would be nice if somebody can recommend a nice bed & breakfast or wine agritourism with lodging for the Lavaux area... not so expensive... don't know if these kind of agritourisms exist like in Italy and Slovenia that from 60-70 euro half-board for 2 adults but anyway I try... it doesn't matter if located in another area (we have our own transport) important nice food and nice for kids... or hotel it doesn't matter...

Besides of the above mentioned attractions what other points of interest we can do/visit?? In Vevey there is a kind of food museum, I think related with Nestle, is worth a visit?? We would like to avoid to stay in cities (Montreaux, Lausanne) in small historical towns OK, lake view or river view.....

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

What time of year are you travelling? Are you using public transport or a car?

Chateau de Chillon is very fun. I loved it as a child, and love it still. You could combine this with the train up the Rochers de Naye to see the marmots and the beautiful views. A quick bus journey from Montreux is the food museum. It's quite interesting from what I remember, but if you've the patience to travel further, the chocolate factory at Broc is lots of fun.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Hhmm gave me a good idea, the chocolate factory at Broc... since Gruyeres is in the area, somebody knows about a tourist farm with rooms that produces cheese??

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,157 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

You talk about the "South Valais" - in fact I think you mean the "Bas Valais" or Lower Valais. This is the French speaking part of our Canton which is contiguous to the Canton de Vaud. The German speaking part is called the "Haut Valais" or Upper Valais. Ober Wallis in German...

For bed and breakfasts see: www.bnb.ch There are quite a few in the Valais.

From your list - you have left off Martigny. It is an amazing little town and deserves a visit! (The dog museum is here, but there are lots of other things)

for a walking tour see: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

Leukerbad is not in the "Bas Valais" - the Lower Valais. It is in the Haut Valais and quite a way from the rest of the places you mention... Personally I would far ather go to Lavey les Bains near st Maurice (Lavey is in Vaud but easily accessible from St Maurce). Much more "civilised" as a spa resort I think...

my grandchildren adore the Labyrinthe. Lots of things to do besides walk through the maze! And you might add to your list the Swiss Vapeur Parc in le Bouveret, also the Aquapark there. St Léonard's underground lake I would delete - "underwhelming!"

Salt mines at Bex - fantastic as long as you have no claustrophobia! An excellent visit, with good explanations.

For Vaud - defintely Chillon! Broc is in Fribourg so a bit outside the area you specifiy but the Chocolate Factory is VERY educational, VERY well organised and the chocolates are delicious, even if they are industrial!!

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Yes, the Bas Valais... thank you for your suggestions... most probably will skip Leukerbad and Aletsch glacier for another occassion... now we took some interest for Gruyeres area and the chocolate factory in Broc because of the kids....

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

There is a demonstration cheese dairy by the station in Gruyeres. If you want something more rustic, there's an alpine dairy in Moleson village above Gruyeres, but you can probably find something closer to your base.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Is that the fromagerie d'alpage de Moleson? If is this one:

www.fromagerie-alpage.ch/fr/index.php…

looks nice and the menu not too bad... Are there other similar ones with restaurant?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

Yes, that's the one. It looks like you have to be there by 10 to see the cheese making. The big one by Gruyeres also has a restaurant. Will you be travelling by public transport or car? I have some drive to farm options.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

For sure we can stop at the one at Gruyeres just to have a look and sightseeing the town on our return (we give preference to the one in Moleson)... we will be travelling with our own car...

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

In which case consider the cheese dairy in Semsales (I've never been but it's on my list) or the occasional cheese making at Le Vuipay farm buvette. You can find info about this on www.les-Paccots.ch

When you are driving in this area, if you see farms with signs that say "tommes", do stop and buy this soft tasty mild goats' cheese.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
99 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Valais and Vaud where to stay? Other to do?

hhmm yummy... thanks!