We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

We plan to travel by regular train (not Chocolate Train) from Lausanne -> Gruyeres -> Moleson -> Broc -> Lausanne.

Do we need to make advanced reservations for guided tours of the Gruyeres Cheese Factory and Broc Chocolate Factory?

If yes, how much time do we need to plan for the cheese tour and the chocolate tour?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

Hi CautiousTraveller,

I'm sorry, but I don't know for sure if you need reservations, but I think not. I've heard that there may be a wait at the chocolate factory, so that means that no one had reservations. Also, neither website says that individuals or groups less than 10 need reservations.

Here are the websites so you can check for certain:

Cheese demonstration

www.lamaisondugruyere.ch/index.php…

Chocolate factory

cailler.ch/en/Chocolaterie/Information.aspx

Have fun as you plan!

s

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

I've been to both places, no you don't need a reservation. The chocolate museum/factory put's people together according to the language their dooing the tour and I guess if it's very busy there might be some queueing. This means you might to have to wait some minutes at the entrance, but not more.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,637 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

There is often a longish wait at the Chocolate Factory. As Mube says, you need to be grouped by language (it is all an AV presentation so you need to understand the language used and only one language is used for each small group of a max of 20 people). We were there a month ago, on a rainy Sunday and the waiting time for English tours was 60 minutes. This was not, not at all, in the main tourist season! And there are a finite number of groups that they can "push" through in a day... the various "rooms" you move through are small, and space is tehrefore limited.

There is an outside playground for children (but in the rain this wasn't much good!) and there is also a smallish café (very nice though) for snacks while waiting.

The reason they only require reservations for groups of 10 mor more is that they will put on a special tour once they have a group of that size. Obviously they need to know in advance to do this!

For the Cheese factory at Gruyères it is totally different. You hear audio with a choice of languages at the same time so no need to be in separate groups.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

Thank you all!

We'll make sure to go on a weekday - hopefully less waiting time!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,637 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

In mid summer I wouldn't count on it, but I hope so for your sake!! It is, however, really really worth going!!

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

The chocolate factory is a very good bad weather option for locals in nearby areas. I went there as well on a rainy Sunday. I guess what Hambagahle expericend is closer to the upper limit than to the average. Something to keep in mind: At the end of the musem you can eat as much chocolate (this very good one you want to bring home) as you can, plan your meals accordingly.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

All you can eat chocolate? Hmm - now I'm wondering whether we should do the cheese factory (and fondue) on a separate day from the chocolate factory!!!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

The chocolate tasting room is good. You can try all the different Cailler branded chocolates. The only restriction is that you can't take any from the room. Fill up!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,637 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

They also do chocolate workshops and have a very nice atelier for this. Worth finding out about before visiting...

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory - reservations needed?

Eh, all the chocolate I could eat turned out to be quite a bit less than I expected! It's all wonderful but does get to be a bit overwhelming after a while.

My mom and I went last year in mid-June on a Friday and had to wait about half an hour for an English tour. It was mostly after they had gathered up our group and let us in to the first waiting area, so no waiting in the cafe or playground.

After the chocolate tour we went to the demonstration dairy tour, then walked up the hill to the old town of Gruyeres. We were plenty hungry to have fondue for lunch before touring the chateau.