We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip of my life.help please!

Islamabad, Pakistan
6 posts
Save Topic
First trip of my life.help please!

hi..iam Diya from islambad,Pakistan.

we are planning our honeymoon in switzerland for 10 days, in the 1st week of september.

so heres how i have planned it so far,your input is needed please..

we will land in Zurich on 1st september and stay 2 nights there.then on 3rd day in noon we will go to lucerne for 2 nights..after that we want to go to wengen for 2 nights then will head to Monterux for 3 nights then on the 10th day take flight from geneva to home.

All i want to know is my planning okay? or i have planned too much?..

our budget is 150-160 USD per night can you please recommend any good modern hotels?(we want to stay near train stations).

how will be the weather in september in switzerland?..do i have to take warm cloths or just the summer stuff to wengen?.

we will be travelling by train so which travelling pass you suggest?.

On 4th september will be my Husbands birthday and i want to give him a romantic dinner,can you please suggest any romantic restaurnt near Lucerene Lake?.

how much ammount you guys think is enough for one day our per day budget will be 200 USD ,is it enough?.

Thanks Alot everyone for your inpuT,i highly appericiate it.

and sorry for asking so many questions as this is gonna be FirsT Trip of my Life ever so im so excited and nervOus lol.

Thanks again..

Regards,

Diya:-)

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip of my life.help please!

Hi Diya,

First trip of your life,on honeymoon and that too,Switzerland - wonderful - you will enjoy it.

I suppose your flight lands in Zurich so you wish to make first base there. No need to do so - just take the train to Luzern from Zurich airport itself - you will be there in an hour or so.Make base there.

Day 1 - local Luzern sights and evening lake cruise

Day 2 - day trip to Rhine Falls and whilst returning do Zurich sight-seeing

Day 3 - day trip to any mountain of your choice - Rigi or Titlis or Pilatus

Day 4 - train to Wengen and make base there,visit the Trummelbach Falls after check - in and in the evening just stroll around Wengen

Day 5 - day trip to Jungfraujoch and in the afternoon to Muerren,if possible

Day 6 - day trip to Bern

Day 7 - proceed to Montreux,make base there,visit Chillon Castle

Day 8 - visit Vevey and/or go up to Rochers de Naye and in the evening take a stroll along the lake

Day 9 - keep it for 'doing nothing' or this spare day can be used anywhere on the top

Day 10 - train to Geneva

This is just an itinerary,nothing sacrosanct,you are on honeymoon,just relax and enjoy the scenery ,around you in each others company. No harm even if you miss out on any of the above sights.

Since you are visiting in September you could take advantage of the Swiss Saver Pass - a promo scheme - buy one get one free - is on.

Your budget,if it excludes hotel tariffs,is OK.

Weather in early September should be fine but carry along some warm clothing- it will be cold up in the mountains and perhaps,even below.

As for hotels,check out this same site - Top Left Hand corner - Hotels - and choose one which suits you best.

If any hotel is available,Muerren would be a great base for your honeymoon ( instead of Wengen ).Hotel Bellevue is really cosy.

Sorry,can't recommend any restaurant for your romantic dinner in Luzern.

You can get info on -

all the above places - http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html

all train schedules and fares - http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

all Swiss Rail Passes - http://www.myswissalps.com/index.asp

all hotels - venere.com or booking.com or on the first site above

Have fun.

arvind

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip of my life.help please!

Hi Diya

I would prefer not to loose time for a visit of Zurich and the rhinefall. Yes, take the train from the airport and travel directly to Lucerne. If you would like to visit Zurich, you could leave your luggage in a locker at Zurich HB (main station) and stroll around at Zurich (see Top Questions about Zurich (TA Zurich forum).

There are many excursions you can do from Lucerne and there is a lot to see at Lucerne itself. Look at www.luzern.com (where you also find all the hotels, BnB's and appartments) and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for many suggestions. If you have a Swiss Pass (or a Swiss Saver Pass) an excursion over Mt. Rigi would be free, for the other mountain transports you will get a 50 % discount with the Swiss Pass or the Swiss Saver Pass.

As you are on a small budget, Jungfraujoch would be a problem. For a glacier experience you could visit Mt. Titlis from Lucerne.

It will be difficult to have a great hotel choice with your budget in Europe and in Switzerland. but you will find some. Look at the Top Questions about Switzerland (right side of your actual screen) for budget information.

Day 6: Instead of a day trip to Berne you could visit the Lauterbrunnen valley with the many waterfalls or the impressive Aar Gorge - www.aareschlucht.ch - between Meiringen and Innertkirchen.

Hubi's birthday:

It's difficult to recommend as I do not know your budget. Asian restaurants are normally not very good and asian people are often not sattisfied as they cook addapted for the European guests. There are very nice restaurants along river Reuss which offer great meals and there is a boat on the lake (which does not leave) where you also could have a dinner. You can find more information on www.luzern.com

I always book my hotels directly with them instead of using a travel agency and have a lot of good experiences.

For the areas you are going to visit look at

www.luzern.com

www.myjungfrau.ch

www.montreux-vevey.com

or at the links given at the Top Questions about Switzerland if you like an appartment.

By the way, an alternative to Lucerne would be Brunnen along lake Lucerne. You can find good priced hotels there. See www.brunnentourismus.ch and Top Questions about Brunnen.

Happy planing

pore

Islamabad, Pakistan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip of my life.help please!

wow..thanks alot both of you for your detailed replies. my husband wants to stay one night in zurich so 1st night we will stay there then will go to lucerene.There is one more thing i want to know infact few more things hope you guys will be generous with your advice as you have been before..

With Saver card we will get discount on travelling anywhere in switzerland or it covers few routes?.

our overall accomodation budget will be around 2000USD for 10 days that means 200USD per night and i have seen some nice hotles on TA and on Agoda.com also,do you think this site is reliable?.

We want to try Paragilidingkwhere can we do that?.

Thanks aLot again..really appericiate your input:-)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip of my life.help please!

There are plenty of places to paraglide in Switzerland, but if you wanted to do this when you are in Montreux, you could try tandems flights with this company:

http://www.biplace-parapente.ch/

I've never tried it myself, but I can imagine that the views over the lake are stunning.

5. Re: First trip of my life.help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:16