We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerland? I mean when my wife will be driving, can I have some beer?

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,046 Reviews
from US$163.70*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,242 Reviews
from US$153.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
363 Reviews
from US$251.20*
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Why?

Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

What why? Can you just answer?!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Yes, you are allowed to, if the driver's blood alcohol concentration is below 0.05%. However, if you ride along with somebody who drives and the driver's blood alcohol concentration is over 0.05%, you will be charged as well, even if you are sober, since you are also responsible that he/she drove in that condition.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Gibot - a please might go a long way when you are asking folks for their time.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,460 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

the Police here have the right to stop a car and check alcohol levels, without the need for another reason. And having an open drink in a car is also not legal. So if I were you, I would (a) only have one glass of wine or beer in the day (24hrs) so you stay under the limit no matter who drives and (b) never consume alcohol in a car.

Finally I totally agree wtih KM. People answering questions on these Forums go to a lot of trouble on others behalf. MartinP looked up the law and gave you correct info. Saying please and thank you costs nothing...

Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

You say "And having an open drink in a car is also not legal." and "MartinP looked up the law and gave you correct info"

and MartinP said "Yes, you are allowed to,"... Don't see any logic....

and Thank you for you time :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

btw, o.o5 (legal limit) for my weight it's 2 bottle of beer, every hour it got reduce by 0.01.... so about 1 beer in 24 hours is a little exaggerated....

and again I was asking only about passenger drinking beer in the car

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

I've never heard of any limitation of passengers, except if it's about not letting the driver do the job. I would be surprised if it's forbidden that passengers drink a beer.

I don't see a problem if a passenger drinks a beer, but I don't think it's a good idea if the driver drinks any alcohol in a country he doesn't know and is not used to driving condition. But that's just a personal opinion.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

Dear Gibot,

Here's a chance to learn about the culture in the place you have chosen to visit.

People in Switzerland prefer to sit down at a cafe, or road-side stop which has a view, enjoy their beverage and then continue on their journey. This applies to everyone, not just those who are driving.

We who have driven the flat, mind-numbingly boring 401, might understand why you ask about drinking in the car; but driving in Switzerland involves mountain roads, tunnels, a 120 kph posted speed limit, speed cameras, aggressive drivers and great views and requires concentration. It's possible you will need to switch drivers more frequently than usual.

Hope you have a great trip to Switzerland.

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in Switzerl

If you need a beer so badly that you can't ride from one point to another without one, the Swiss Rail system is extremely good and you are allowed to drink on the trains. Seems a simple solution and one that avoids any possibility of getting into trouble unless, of course, you become drunk and disorderly.

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
329 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland