We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Switzerland on first trip?

New England
Level Contributor
211 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Switzerland on first trip?

I am not familiar with what to do and things to see in Switzerland. I am going to Italy with my boyfriend in late September or early October and he wants to go to Switzerland but does not know where to go or what to see. He wants to go to the countryside and small towns. Neither of us hike.

What would you all make for recommendations of where to go and what to see? What are the must see spots and things to do? I don't have a lot of time to research Switzerland so I was hoping you all would make recommendations.

Also, would rent a car or take some other sort of transportation?

Thank you for your ideas and information.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Switzerland on first trip?

Public transport is excellent - in fact many of the best villages can only be reached by train.

Can thoroughly recommend Wengen - there are cable cars everywhere so you do not need to be great walkers. Make sure you do go up into the mountains though!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Switzerland on first trip?

Snow-beach there is so much to see in Switzerland, so I suggest you buy or borrow a guide book, Rick Steves is a start however I prefer Lonely Planet these will give an idea of Switzerland and then come back with specific questions about the area or areas you have decided on. You could also look on line at www.myswitzerland.com which is full of information about holidays in Switzerland and of course continue reading Trip Advisor

3. Re: What to do in Switzerland on first trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2013, 10:16