We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with itinerary !

Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with itinerary !

Hi all. I need some help deciding the order of my itinerary. My tour group kumuka has just gone bust so I have to re-do my entire 6week journey myself. We are travelling in December.

These are the definites :

We arrive in London heathrow nov 29th

Need to be in Zermatt 24th dec then continue through to Paris on 31st dec and end in London again

So between the 6th December ending London to zermatt starting on the 24th of December I need to squeeze in:

Amsterdam, south Germany (Munich, neuschwebstein castle, Dresden,), Venice, amalfi coast, Rome, Florence

I would like to know should i go (all trains, no flying )

London, amsterdam, Florence, Rome, Amalfi, Venice, southern Germany and get to zermatt from Munich?

( possibly stop by Paris or nice if it's a ridiculously long train journey)

Or

London, amaterdam, south Germany, Venice, Amalfi, Rome, Florence then get to zermatt through Geneva way?

I'm not sure which is more time and travel effective??

I understand I have to get to zermatt from left or right of Switzerland I can't get there thought northern Italy? Sorry my geography is really bad and not been to Europe before

But I also heard there is a really scenic railway through Switzerland to Zermatt, is there only one side of Switzerland you can catch that?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Hi Bebilaine,

Either it is a typo or my mind is foggy - so correct me if I wrongly interpret the dates,as -

29 Nov - arrive in London

24 Dec to 31 st Dec - stay In Zermatt ( and move around Switzerland )

31st Dec to 6 Jan - Paris

6 Jan - move to London and leave London

Do you HAVE to be in Zermatt and Paris on 24th and 31st resp.?If so,the itinerary has to be built around these dates and these cities.

Broadly, London - Amsterdam - Dresden - Munich - Switzerland - Venice - Amalfi - Rome - Florence - Paris - London, seems to be in one axis.

Around 12 to 14 towns / cities in 6 weeks - that is one hectic pace - you could reconsider - but it is YOUR trip - so if it is OK with you then an itinerary can be built.

arvind

Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Thanks

Yes my dates for Paris and zermatt are set. I know not convenient but they were already pre- booked and decided for Christmas and new year and worked perfectly with my tour. But now my tour cancellation makes the order a bit non practical.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,290 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Arvind - I think he means that he is staying in Zermatt from 24-31 December and needs to fit the other places into some kind of "sensible" itinerary between 6th and 24 December...

I don't think the order is not practical it is just that perhaps stopping in Amsterdam is not so practical when you could fly London to Munich and then take trains from there...

What I would do is to fly from London to Amsterdam then take a train to Münich OR fly to Munich. From there train to Venice via Kufstein in Austria (pretty ride too!) and train to Rome, Naples etc. (The Frecchiarossa trains are very fast - Rome to Naples is 90mins. Then train to Milan and change for Brig. Change again at Brig for Zermatt. Milan Brig is about 2hrs and Brig zermatt another 75mins or less.

Please put any questions to do wth Holland, Germany and Italy on those forums and let us know what your questions are for Switzerland. And I hope your hotel is booked in Zermatt from 24-31 December as this is high season...

Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Yes I have to be in zermatt and Paris at those dates at the last legs of the journey as these places are already booked and paid for

I originally wanted to go to Zermatt via Munich way so I could sit most of the length of the glacier express. But I think now it will be most time effective for me to come from Florence direction.

How long and how do I get from Florence to zermatt??

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with itinerary !

You can use www.rail.ch to plan all your journeys into and out of Switzerland.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,290 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with itinerary !

I would guestimate, including connection times in Milan and Brig, that it will take you around 7-8 hours total. Maybe a little less.

If you are booking trains and paying for the separately (ie no Rail pass involved) then use the Trenitalia site as they have "cheapie" fares - Mini,Midi, Maxi depending on how refundable you want your ticket to be. ie if you are really definite on the date and time you can save quite a lot of money. the SBB site (rail.ch that NWL mentioned above) does not have this info for Italian trains. similarly use the Deutschebahn site for Germany.

www.trenitalia.com

www.db.de

Christchurch
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Hi Bebilaine, I feel your pain - we've also had our winter europe tour cancelled by Kumuka. We have re-booked on the Topdeck Discover Winter tour - it goes to all the places you wish to see. Leaves London on 4th December, and finishes in London (or Amsterdam if you prefer) on 23rd December. Maybe that would work for you too?

Here's the link:

topdeck.travel/europe-trips/…discover-winter

Good Luck!

Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Thanks.

Have you had any luck with a refund???

Christchurch
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with itinerary !

Not yet, but the credit card company is processing it. We'd paid in full, so we have our fingers crossed that they'll be successful. It's our only option really as we're outside of Australia and the UK. How about you?

10. Re: Please help with itinerary !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:17