We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by trains

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling by trains

We (3 adults) will be travelling in Switzerland for 9 days in August to various cities by train. I am now thinking whether to buy 2nd class or 1st class rail pass. Will 2nd class be very full in August and difficult to get seats?

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling by trains

Swiss trains are very well used and during commuter times can get very full, first class is more spacious. On the mountain lines many trains have second class only.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,847 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling by trains

Just like elsewhere in Europe July-August is partly a school holiday. This means 2nd class in trains less busy during commuter times than normally. But in the end it's your trade-off...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling by trains

First class is a whole lot nicer than second. To start with there are only 3 seats across in most trains - 1, and then on the other side 2 and 3. It is also carpeted. And a lot quieter. Personally I never travel second class unless, as MST said above, I am on a line with no option but to do so.

And if you buy a First class pass it also entitles you to use the First class area on the lake steamers which is the part upstairs with the better view.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling by trains

I always go second class and find it comfy.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling by trains

Second class is absolutely fine unless you are doing something like Bern to Zurich in the middle of the rush hour, or Visp to Lausanne at five o'clock on Sunday afternoon when the whole of western Switzerland is coming back from the mountains.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling by trains

Sorry but not for me... no way. Far too noisy and crowded even outside of rush hour!

7. Re: Travelling by trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17